Adding Audio Track 2 Makes Audio Track 1 Single Ear

UMRebel

Hi, 

I have imported a Video (GoPro Hero Session) and the Video Track 1 and linked Audio Track 1 play through both ears of headphones.  

However, when I simply add a second audio track to the project, whether it's a sound effect or a song, it doesn't matter, it makes Audio Track 1 start coming out of only 1 headphone ear... and this carries through to Export.  If I delete Audio Track 2, then Audio Track 1 comes back out of both ears again.  

I've searched this forum and youtube for an explanation and resolution.  Appreciate if anyone can help here.

CS

Thanks, borate.  I had actually found that exact post from you, and had tried that, hoping it was not the only solution.  

True, if I edit the original audio track and convert it to stereo in wavepad it does fix the mono problem, but it also unlinks the audio from the original video clip with no way to "re-associate(?)" it that I can readily find.  I mean... it's workable... but it certainly makes managing the scene a lot more complicated especially if doing lots of cuts and edits.  The original video+audio no longer edit as one.

I'll keep playing.  Appreciate the feedback.

Hi

Assuming you have unlinked, copied and treated your original soundtrack in wavepad as Borate has suggested.

• Load it back to VP.
  • Drag it to audio Track 2 and line it up with the original mono clip on Audio track 1.
  • Delete the original unlinked Audio track 1
  • Drag the new stereo clip vertically up on Audio track 1.
  • Check it has remained in synch.
  • Left click the Video clip to select it.
  • Press SHIFT. Keep it down and left click the new clip on audio track 1
  • Keep SHIFT key down and then right click either clip.
  • Select to Group Selected Clips from the menu. This in effect will re-link the sound

Nat

Hey guys I have an additional question and/or issue that seems to be related.  When recording over video (narration) the resulting .wav track is again only playing in one ear.  However, properties say it is 2 channel and if edited in Wavepad it already shows that it's stereo.  Trying to save as stereo/new-file does not resolve it for this.  Any ideas how to get the recording over video to play out of both sides?

Oh, the recording itself SAYS 2 channels and if opened in wavepad is SAYS stereo, but it only plays through one ear regardless.  That's the weird part.  Yes, the headphones are plugged all the way in, hah.  

If I just use windows audio recorder it records fine and playsstereo inside the project after import, so definitely not the MIC itself.  But using "record over video" inside the app/project itself  results the same - one side only.  Having to record narration outside the app and then import it to compensate in the meantime.  Not sure why.

Thanks.

If this isn't a stereo mic, or has not been bridged, it will record left channel only in Windows Voice Recorder.  Confirm that the mic is feeding both left and right.

What you want from a mono microphone is 'center-channel' mono, where the mono signal is fed to both channels.

As noted earlier, if a left-only recording alone is brought into Videopad it will be heard on both channels, until a stereo source is added to the time line.

Hi

Plug in the mic and when you click the red button and select Record Audio and then click the red Start button...Do you see two responsive yellow channels? If you do then you should have stereo (even if mono input is split between the channels.)  Are they the same length? If they are not the same length then you will need to adjust the balance for either Mic or Stereo mixer

Nat