Transitions without moving clips

LiveTVTD

I'm working on a project which involves synced multi-cam editing.  While kludgy, I can synchronize different camera angles on different tracks.  What kills the project with VideoPad is having to do dissolves between cameras.  First I tried changing opacity on layers to simulate cross-dissolves.  What an extraordinarily time consuming process!  My second attempt was to slice and dice clips, put them to one track and dissolve from there with real transitions.  This does not work because adding a transition pulls the succeeding clip out of sync.

Consequently, I'm doing this project with a different editor.  Is there something I'm missing?  Is there a way to keep clips firmly planted in timespace and simply expand the starting or trailing edge of the clip to "interfere" with a prior or succeeding clip to form the transition area?  This is done on some other editors and is very powerful.  I wondered if there's a way to do that with VideoPad too.

Two transition modes are available, similar to other editors.  You want the "generate freeze frame" mode, under OPTIONS|Editing tab|Video Clip Transitions.

If there is video pad available beyond the transition start of the FROM clip and prior to the emergence of the TO clip, there will be no freeze.  Even if there's no pad, the freeze may not be evident if the transition is short.  Use the overlap mode and clips may be moved, as you can testify.

Hi

Either way you will have to work on each inserted or overlaid clip. You can speed up the process quite a bit however and still acheive what you want..It just needs a bit of prior work. :-)  here is a reply I posted to a similar question some time ago........

###################################################################################

You have complete control of fade-in and fade-out of any clip/image placed any track.e.g. Place a clip/image on the Track in question.

Click the FX button and choose the Transparency effect. Now click the Select Preset box and choose the Fade In and Out option.

When you now click the keyframe graph button (green cross with the red line around it) you will see the fade in and fade out graph line........

be5bed841f6f4eb261977a6bc0464ef0.jpg

This is a little abrupt as it is simply fades IN and OUT and as it stands it doesn't retain the image for any time at 100% opacity before it fades out again. But you can easily alter that. Grab the line just after the start of the clip (e.g. a couple of seconds in) and pull it straight up to the top. This creates a keyframe and the Fade-in now happens more quickly and the clip remains visible for longer. Do the same a short time before the end of the clip.The graph line should now look like this.....

561505563be1e7f5fe93ce59a9c2aceb.jpg

It is up to you to decide where to pull the graph line up.

In this example the image/clip lasts for 10 seconds and will fade in for about 1 second from the start and fade out about 1 second before the end.

##################################################################################

Once you have a decent fade-in and fade-out  interval selected you can save it as a new effect. Click the 4th icon along at the top of the effects pane (looks like an old 3.5" diskette) and give your effect a name, then save.

It will now appear at the bottom of the effects list when you click the green cross under the heading Templates. You can now use this as an effect for each of your overlaid cutaway clips

Nat