Crossfading from overlay video track and vice versa?

Aresby

Hi guys

I'm unable to find a way of crossfading (using any of the transition types) from an overlay video track to the one 'below' - and, more importantly, back again - that is from, say Video Track 0 to Video Track 1 (the overlay track) - it just does a hard cut.

I've tried selecting the two clips (on different video tracks) that I want to transition but it does not work as expected.The clips are all aligned at the same cursor point.

The best I've managed so far is transitioning from an overlay track down to the track below - but then I'm stuck with a hard cut back to the overlay track clip.

I'm using multiple video sources (each on an individual track) so moving the required clip to another track is not the answer - that would totally throw out my (audio) synchronisation.

Any ideas? I can clarify further too if required. Fingers crossed someone can help me on this one.

Hi Aresby,

You can change fade in duration of the clip on track 1 by click the button on left-top corner of the clip.

Move the track 1 clip a bit to the left so that the track 0 clip is visible while track 1 clip fading in.

Best Regards,

Higher tracks always take precedence. Thus the opacity (transparency) of track 2 determines whether track one is visible, and by how much.

Use the TRANSPARENCY effect on the higher track (track 2 in this example) to plot keyframes.

Here's how the effects window might look for a crossfade from track 1 being fully visible to track 2 being fully visible - then back again.

The track two effects window, below, starts at 0 opacity, ramps to 100%, then returns to 0 at the end. So this is one method to crossfade between tracks.

cross.jpg

The result.

Transitions were designed for contiguous clips on the same track. Further, clips may not have video available to span the duration of a transition, whether contiguous or on separate tracks.

In your case, if there is content available beyond the boundaries of the desired video, an overlap can be created by extending the FROM clip track at its tail and the TO clip track at its head.

For a one-second transition that overlap should be one-second. Then keyframe TRANSITION effects for each track: ramp down the FROM track and ramp up the TO track simultaneously.

Excellent answers, thank you very much. I'm just putting together another video right now so I shall try both suggestions out and see how they perform.

Now I just need to post (this time in the correct forum) my urgent requirement of applying an audio effect to all clips on the audio track without having to first select 84 tiny little segments (some of which are too small to select without expanding the timeline). Pity you can't select all audio clips by (right) clicking the audio track... Actually, this could also apply to video clips too... I live in hope.

Thanks again chaps, appreciated.

Aresby's query on applying an AUDIO effect to multiple clips works just as described...

Select a clip, press <ctrl-A> to select all, choose an effect and this appears...

apply.jpg

Click APPLY TO ALL. Here, tests with echo, flanger and chorus confirm that the effect was applied instantly to three contiguous clips .

However, this doesn't succeed with every video effect (does with the mirror effect), despite all clips being selected and being presented with the same dialog box.

Mmm, some strange behaviour when doing this.

Selecting the (audio) effect from the toolbar indeed brings up that "Apply to All/One/Cancel" dialog. (Not so if you click the FX button in the bottom left hand corner of the (first) clip selected, but we knew that)

However, you do have to select a NEW effect, not click on the Effect Properties button expecting to be able to edit existing effects, as you don't get that dialog box appear.

When I did a new Compression effect, I deleted the newly one added to the list of effects currently in place and amended one of the existing ones - but all the other clips had the new effect still in place (ie not deleted). Then I had to go to all 84 clips and remove the new effect (well, if I had saved the project I would have to have done so).

Adding a brand new audio effect (not yet applied effect to any of the selected clips) had the unfortunate effect of only applying the changed parameters to the first clip - all remaining selected clips had the standard values still applied.

I guess this "feature" is either not working as intended or, if "working as designed" is not really helping me! Dammit, I thought my prayers had been answered!

Ye of little faith. ^_^ Test results here with three contiguous clips...

1. Selected all audio tracks

2. Clicked an audio FX icon

3. Click the green + and chose the ECHO effect

4. Clicked the APPLY TO ALL icon.

all.jpg

And so it was. To delete the effect on all clips simultaneously...

1. Selected all audio tracks

2. Clicked an audio track FX icon

3. Clicked the X just to the right of the word ECHO

4. Clicked the APPLY TO ALL icon

The effect was removed from all selected clips. Same method succeeded when ECHO and CHORUS were stacked - removing one (subtracting) left the other intact.

Wow! Just tried this on a review video and guess what? It worked! (But you already knew it would, right?).

Excellent, just what I needed, it now saves a ton of time, thanks for letting me know the idiot's guide to doing it right, that's what I need generally, I find :rolleyes:

UPDATE

-----------

Just thought I'd experiment a bit more and do you think I can get this to work again?

The Apply To All toolbar icon (the one you arrowed) is greyed out - nothing I will do will enable it. I've followed the idiot's guide several times but to no avail. It asked me Apply to all 4 clips which I clicked but that icon is still greyed out.

I have no idea how I managed it in the video review I've just completed. Stumped. Again. :mellow:

Appears to be reasonably consistent here, though it misses a clip on occasion and can take a moment or two to render changes.

Close the effects box. Select all the desired cuts. After FX in the clip on the time line is clicked and an effect chosen, the APPLY TO ALL box icon should light.

In removing effects, do the same; the icon won't light until the X (to remove the effect) is clicked.

The Apply To All toolbar icon (the one you arrowed) is greyed out

To enable the icon you'll need to select multiple clips and have at least one effect in the current effect chain. We'll change that to enable the icon even there is no effect so you can effectively delete all effects in selected clips.

Best Regards,

We'll change that to enable the icon even there is no effect so you can effectively delete all effects in selected clips.

Excellent! I'm very pleased that feedback from your users is acknowledged and acted on - this will be a huge benefit to me when it's been implemented.

In the meantime, I've not had a huge opportunity to test this out further but further to my previous post when I couldn't get the greyed out icon to become active I can confirm I was working with a test piece of video which had no effects applied to any of the (audio) clips, so that was undoubtedly the cause of my failure.

Since then I've created just one further video and manually selected each of the dozen clips I needed to apply an audio effect to and it all worked as you previously described, phew! saved me some time.

I notice that selecting the "audio" track (ie select one audio clip then CTRL-A) also selects the associated video tracks - I suppose this is the designed behaviour but in some ways I would prefer just the audio track to be selected in this case (and vice versa if I was attempting to apply an effect to some video clips).

Functionally this has no value but it just was a bit disconcerting to see every single audio and video clip selected when I tried to apply an audio effect after clicking an audio clip!

I'll certainly be experimenting further with this feature and look forward to the next interim release with that enhancement included :)