too new to videopad

cogs

free version

instead of deleting videopad, i've decided to stay with it until i can't learn it, lol.

i want to do youtube poops with it (i don't even know if it's plausible). don't judge too harshly, i have other types of videos on youtube also, lol.

i want to take out a portion of a video, reverse it, then have it play normally again.

also, i'd like to add a sound effect, and turn down the vid's audio at the point of the sound effect, then turn it back up. is any of this possible in an easy way?

ps, i have tried for many hours to do the above, and read much help and vids on it (but not here, as i've just registered).

ok, just found the split button to the left, and i think that'll cut out a portion of video between splits. that'll help, but i need to add in the copied video at that point to show its edits. like, have a continuity.

You can select a portion of the video and copy it (ctrl-C), then paste it elsewhere (ctrl-V).

As for audio levels, click the audio track and it will appear graphically in the (sequence) preview window.

Drag the blue horizontal line in the center of the display up (louder) or down (softer). This creates keyframes (the squares).

See the ? HELP FILES for more info. There are also tutorials on line. Search for "videopad tutorials" videos.

Hi

Reversing a bit if a clip.

Put the clip in question onto the time line.

Play the clip or drag the red cursor line to the start of the section you want to reverse.

Click the split button which is on the right under the preview pane...Looks like a couple of batteries side by side.

This will split the clip into two at the red cursor position.

Now move the cursor along to the end of your selected section you want to reverse.

Repeat the split procedure.

You will now have three clips, the central one being the bit you want to reverse.

Right click the central clip and select "Copy" from the menu

Move the red cursor line to the end of the centre clip. (You can use the II< button under the preview pane which moves the cursor the to start and end oc each clip)

Right clik the centre clip again and select "Paste (Insert)

This inserts another centre clip at the cursor line.

Now right click the clip you want to reverse and select "Reverse Clip" from the menu. NOte that the sound track will also reverse.

Sound effect...

Put the sound effect onto Audio track 2 and drag it to the position where you want it to play.

Whilst on audio track 2 it will mix with the main audio..

If you want to totally mute Audio track 1 where your effect is you will need to separate it out by splitting.

Select audio track 2 and use II< or >II to set the cursor to the start of the sound effect. These buttons are under the preview screen and jumps the cursor line to the start/end of each clip.

Split Audio track 1

Move the cursor in a similar way to the end of the sound effect and split Audio track 1 again.

Right click audio track 1 above your sound effect so it is selected and then delete it.

The sound effect will play in the gap you have created.

If you don't want to delete the main audio track and retain some control over its volume....

Do the cuts above but don't delete anything.

Select (left click) Audio track 1 above the sound effect so it highlights blue, and then preview it by clicking the "Clip Preview" tab above the preview window..

You will now see the main track sound in the preview window with the cut out portion highlighted and a blue line through the centre.

If you click this line a small blue square will appear.

Repeat this in different places so you have 4 blue squares.

You can now drag the first square to the left end of the blue line. Keep it at the original height.

The second square to the bottom below the first.

The third to the right end at the bottom and the fourth above it at at the original height.

The blue line, represents the volume and you will now have the effect of the volume dropping at the start of you sound effect and returning to normal at the end of your sound effect.

Using this method you can set the main track sound to any convenient volume whilst the sound effect on audio track 2 plays.

Nat

thank you nice people for your help. turns out i was using an old version of the free videopad. i updated it to the new one, and i see the useful buttons i need, lol. i think the learning will go more quickly now.

Nationalsolo, your instructions are great, and thank you for being so thorough!!