how to avoid splitting tracks when drag and drop?

mgritsch

when I rearrange the clips on a track by drag&drop, videopad eventually splits the things I have already added on other tracks (e.g. a second audio track with music).

pressing 'alt' when doing the drag&drop is not a solution - this simply switches the operation from "insert" to "overwrite".

Is there any way to avoid this behaviour? I want to rearrange the clips in a track without affecting the other tracks...

p.s.: I have found this topic in the forum that deals with a similar issue:

http://nch.invisionz...drag#entry47381

however "creating a gap big enough" isnt really an option when you have 20+ clips on a timeline after that position and you have to start dragging all of them further to the end, one by one... or did I miss an easier way how to create a gap?

this behavour isnt very helpful, It would at least be nicer to have options (e.g. per track - "do not auto-split" or by pressing a key whilst performing the drag'n'drop)

Yes, tried this, no effect whatsoever.

I have 3 clips A-B-C on video track 1 and a sound file on audio track 2.

I drag and drop to rearrange the sequence to be A-C-B.

Result: where C is inserted audio track 2 will be split and the second half shifted back so that it still matches with the former position on Clip B.

Regardless of the "Lock Track" being activated or not on audio track 2...

Unlink audio from those clips (right-click menu)

Select the audio clips with <shift-left click> on each

<ctrl-X> to delete the audio

Make your video mods

Select the (now vacant) section of the audio track and position the scrubber where you want the saved track to begin

<ctrl-V> to paste the audio back where it was

also unlinking doesnt make any difference.

I unlink the sound (audio track 1) from the clip (video track 1), I ctrl-x them, I drag'n'drop the clip, where it fits in the audio track 2 will split and move backwards.

I'm a bit annoyed about this behaviour. I wanted the clips and their transitions to fit well to the audio, but the only way to work is by adding the additional audio at the and of all clip arrangements or everything will be chopped and messed up. :(

Hi

"I have 3 clips A-B-C on video track 1 and a sound file on audio track 2.

I drag and drop to rearrange the sequence to be A-C-B.

Result: where C is inserted audio track 2 will be split and the second half shifted back so that it still matches with the former position on Clip B."

Exactly! ...And this is despite Audio track 2 being "independant" One would expect it to stay where it was and remain unchanged.

However, having set up this combination of ABC on the timeline and a soundtrack on Audio 2...

Switch into Storyboard Mode.

Now drag clip C so that it is before Clip B and drop it there....a green bar appears betweeen the thumbnails to show where to drop it. The order is now ACB.

On switching back to Timeline Mode you should see that Audio track 2 has remained in place and unsplit and clip C is now positioned in front of Clip B

Storyboard mode only acts on video track 1 and its sound files.

Nat