Deleting Overlay Clip Text

hannond

Hey Guys,

I am trying to make a Tribute Video. I am new to this but I think I got the program figured out. I have a base video I am working with that I am editing. I need to remove some clip text that is overlayed. I have watched the tutorial vids and I just can't figure it out. Can anyone help. Thanks Dru

Hi

With version 3.24 (and earlier 3.xx version) you create your text as an image. You are free to place that image on any of the video tracks, but being text that you want to overlay it is usually placed on video track 2 above the clip which will act as a background.

You can expand the track by clicking the right hand icon of the three seen to the left of the track.

If you do not want the text overlay once you have actually dropped it onto the video track, you only have to right click it on the track (which will select it) and from the menu that appears select "Delete selected clip(s)". The overlay clip will disappear.

It will remain in the image bin of the media list. If you left click it (or right click it) here you can edit the text if you wish to. This can also be done if the text clip is on the video track.

Nat

Now, if you're talking about text that is in your base video already, that's a separate problem. If you haven't added text to videopad but you want to remove text from a video, that's not possible without a lot of video editing knowledge... and even then, there's no way to know what is under the text. So cropping the video would be the best way to hide the text.

Let's hope you've added text onto a different track, as Nationalsolo mentioned. Then it's easy enough to "delete selected clip(s)".

Thanks guys for you input. Let me explain what my project is. I retired from the navy. I made a cruise on the USS Enterprise and I was stationed at VF-111 and at NAS Miramar when the movie TOPGUN was made. Due to military draw down and politics, the USS Enterprise is now being scrapped. All F-14's have been decommissioned and are being scrapped. NAS Miramar has been turned over to the Marines. So, I am making a Tribute video for F-14 Tomcats. The opening sequence in the movie of TOPGUN is the best footage you can find of carrier operations. Not to mention it is on my old ship, the Enterprise. The first 2.5 miniutes is what I am tlaking about but it is also where they list the actors etc. I would attach the clip so you could see it but could not figure out how. Can you guys help me. I have it split off of main movie. I have the audio removed. I just cannot figure out how to remove the overlay.

Thanks Dru

HI

From the 1 minute mark to 3.5 minute point the credits unfortunately appear in the centre of the frame and as such you won't be able to crop them off as you might have done had they been in the subtitle position. From videopad's point of view you can do little about this.

Having watched the opening clip, it might be possible to use VP to trim out the sections where the text appears, restoring the length a little by slowing down the action a shade and then blending the ends of the cut out bit. I'm not sure without looking at it again, but I got the impression that the action taking place behind the titles is not particularly rapid, so the above process might work.

As it stands you won't be able to remove the titles with VP without cutting those sections out.

Nat

Hi

Further to my previous post I had a look at this..

Cutting the intro to remove the title frames doesn't leave a lot of the sepia footage, about 10 seconds..... :( including the bits with the aircraft getting ready in the background.

You could extend this remnant to about 15-20 seconds if you change the speed of each section by 50%. Unfortunately version 3.24 has a bug with this effect which leaves an equivalent % at the end of the clip so treated as black.......not good. :angry:

But if you don't want the text that's the only way if you use Videopad.

Nat