Version 3.24

Nationalsolo

Hi

Just loaded the free version of VP3.24 to try out. At first sight it seems to be faster than the previous one

It loaded a few mpeg clips to the media list quite rapidly (in seconds actually) and the sequence line appears to have less thumbnails. About 50 clips loaded in a minute or so. :)

(Later)...Some thumbnails are not showing under the preview panes and it may have stuck....... :(

(Later still) No! they showed up!

GIve it bash tomorrow with a project saved from 3.10.....

Nat

Hi

So far this version works OK, much better than 3.11, 3.12 and 3.14. :)

Just put together a 12 minute film containing opening titles and end credits, comprising 60+ mpg clips with numerous inserts, transitions, cuts and a few zooms. It all seemed to function fine. It rendered OK to PC as a 720 HD avi with no crashes. No real delays at any point (e.g."Building Preview" messages etc.,) although thumbnails took a minute or so to appear when a large number of clips were added to the timeline at once. A lot more things need to be tested though. It would be useful to have a small "work in progress" indicator like the progress bar in version 2.41 or perhaps a rotating logoin one corner as at times, although everything seemed to have completed OK on the visible timeline, scrolling along showed there were still some thumbnails and transitions remaining to render. Editing when things were outstanding sometimes caused a delay.

At one point, and I don't know how it happened, I got stuck with just the clip preview pane visible, strtetching from one side of the screen to the other. There didn't seem an obvious way to get the sequence preview pane back again and after clicking on everything I could, I saved the project and re-opened VP when I came back as normal. (Any ideas anyone?)

On the whole this looks like a much improved version.

Nat

So far this version works OK, much better than 3.11, 3.12 and 3.14. :) (Any ideas anyone?) On the whole this looks like a much improved version.

Haven't encountered that preview pane anomaly. Slow-mo is still no go when attempting to kick it in after a split. Same or similar behavior as you outlined earlier.

Hi

OK..I found I had clicked on the tab marked "Clips" :( (Dumbo) .. "Home" or "Sequence" brought both panes back.

However the Virtualdub border control filter doesn't work now as the only border colour I can get up is cyan. No matter what border colour I set (as RGB values) it remains cyan. It's a useful filter (or WAS a useful filter <_< ) as I used it a lot to cleaningup the borders of copied VHS video which are always fuzzy. I can only crop these off now.

Nat

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Having used 3.24 a bit more with a re-do of a bigger project containing many more mpeg4 clips (250 or so) I can suggest the following...

Add the clips to the media list gradually as you require them for editing. If you add them en masse it takes longer as VP has to generate all the media list thumbnails before you can start work. (I foundVP had a tendancy to either crash or go into a "no reponding" mode with a white screen if I started editing immediately, and I could hear the PC working overtime as well) If you want to add a load of clips, set them loading and wait.

No other thumbnails are rendered to the cache at this point until you add a clip to the timeline which causes some slight delay each time depending on the length of the clip . So again, don't add clips en masse to the timeline as this causes a big delay. I found it best to add them in twos and threes and edit these as I went along. Once the thumbnails had been rendered however, re-using that clip was much faster as the thumbnails were already present in the cache. Rearranging the timeline or cutting clips meant that a new round of TNs had to be generated for the sequence preview pane.

Has anyone actually found these useful? IMHO it's the generation of these thumbnails that slows this version (and previous ones) down. Perhaps one TN at the start of each timeline clip or at each split as is the case with WMM. It might make the whole thing faster

I can't actually see the need for one every 5-10 seconds or so, either, as all you need to be able to do is recognise the clip in question and then scrub along with the cursor bar to the point of interest shown by the preview. You can easily do this with one TN and the name shown above the clip preview pane.

Running the cursor line along the sequence pane simply reproduces the same action in the timeline itself so you can pinpoint a particular spot just as easily with them or without them. Even if the scene changes within a clip, it won't necessarily coincide with a particular thumbnail. See what you think about this by dragging up the preview panes until the TN band disappears.

The Media list thumbnails on the other hand are very useful.

Nat