Adding not replacing

PSC

I've spent quite few hours now playing about with Videopad and get on quite well with it, but one thing i can't seem to work out, or devise a workaround for, is how to insert a video or image within a project without overwriting existing video or images. It seems a very basic task so is particularly frustrating not to be able to find a way to do this. I've spent quite a while animating a series of images and am now looking to place an image at the front of this sequence but now cannot find a way to do this without overwriting part of the animation. What am i doing wrong? How can i insert an image or a chunk of time at the start?

Thanks.

I can't seem to work out, or devise a workaround for, is how to insert a video or image within a project without overwriting existing video or images. How can i insert an image or a chunk of time at the start? Thanks.

Select ALL images to the right of your insert point and move them WAY to the right, leaving a gap. Then plug the insert image into the gap and right-click|CLOSE GAP. Or the right click menu in 3.14 may

have easier ways to do that. Use standard Windows methods to select mulitple images. Hold down <ctrl> and click each one, singly. Or click the first, then hold down <shift> and click the last to select them all.

Another technique would be to select all and drag those clips up to another video track. Insert the new clip/s, then drag the relocated clips back to the end of the original video track.

Hi

Another way is to first of all click the "Option" button on the toolbar followed by the "Other" tab.

Set the "Add new clip to the following position" to show "Ask me" and click OK to close the option window.

Now load your project into VP

Position the red cursor line at the point where you want add the new clip/image to be inserted.

Right clip the image/clip in the media list followed by the "Place on Sequence" prompt that comes up in the drop down list.

Click the "Place on Sequence at Cursor" option followed by "Add"

The image/clip will be inserted at the position of the red cursor line. Sequence to the right of the inserted image will be pushed along. as will any clips on an overlay track.

Note that any image inserted will have a duration equal to the default time set under "Options/General"

Nat

Thanks for your replies. Nat, i already have that dialogue box come up each time, i would expect it to function as you suggest (i.e.pushing everything along the timeline) but it doesn't, it overwrites, hence my frustration with it. Borate, your solution partly works for me, i don't know if it's because i'm using the free version that functionality is limited, but i cannot highlight multiple frames, so will have to drag and drop each one in turn, time taking but perhaps quicker than re-doing. Thanks again to you both for taking the time to reply. :)

I would expect it to function as you suggest (i.e.pushing everything along the timeline) but it doesn't, it overwrites, hence my frustration with it. Borate, your solution partly works for me. I don't know if it's because I'm using the free version that functionality is limited, but I cannot highlight multiple frames, so will have to drag and drop each one in turn, time taking but perhaps quicker than re-doing.

Humm. Something isn't adding up. Running 3.04 here just now - the free version - and am able select mulitple clips in the ways described earlier. Nat's method also succeeds with inserting a clip. ??

Hi PSC

Does seem something is not working correctly. With VP3.10 and 2.41 (both free versions) and using the steps I outlined, the image or clip INSERTS, i.e. performs a split, inserts the new bit and then adds the cut off section to the end of the new bit. Does this whether an image or a clip is inserted or whether it is an image or clip that is split by the curser line.

What happens with your version if you use a single clip or image on video track 1 and then add another clip/image to the cursor set in the middle? Does it still overwrite?

Check you have not chosen to "Overlay on sequence at the cursor" which is one of the choices shown in the drop down menu. This action WON'T split the sequence line and the added clip/image will overplay it.

Note also that if you are adding your clip/image to the sequence line at the cursor position at a point where you have something on the overlay track, it will add correctly but it will not appear as the overlay track takes precedence.

In some variations of this procedure, the new clip is inserted on the sequence correctly but the overlay track above is also split and a gap created allowing the inserted clip to play...

There are so many permutations that can arise here that I am not surprised the program may not work quite as expected.

Nat