Added Media video is slow, audio is normal

MFeldman

HI

MPEG4 clips seem to behave like this..at least on my PC....the sound finishes before the video.

Convert the video files as Borate suggests. It works for me.

Use NCH Prism or the free version of "AnyVideoConverter" to convert yout MPEG4 clips to MPEG2 clips.

http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/

Keep the same size format. It's eay to use and you can batch the lot to convert one after the other. The new files are placed in a folder labelled MPEG2 and the originals are not affected. I find the MPEG2 files clearer than MPEG4s and the sound stays in synch.

Nat

HI

I have had same problem many times when (big) .mp4 clip(s) is/are included to editor (VPad 2.41) - but only in preview phase (=during editing). After rendering - everything is ok in final .mp4!!

I have never converted mp4 to other format related on this problem.

Hi

It may be that the output from big MPEG4 clips render in synch but the fact that sound and vision don't match during editing make things a bit difficult. It's probably a system speed problem but the sound can finish several seconds before the video on even short clips. As I use the evaluation version of VP I can't output to MPEG4, only avi. , wmv or asf The results from MPEG2 conversions look quite OK and the synch problem during editing isn't there.

Nat

Thanks for "Nat" about reply-comment!

You are right that editing with non-synch clips is not nice but I am surprised if problem is on-going even with today's effective PC's..

I have five years old Lenovo T61p with WinXP with 3GB RAM and Intel Duo CPU 2.2GHz (= as moped today :) but anyway - VideoPad (2.41) seems to be quite usable when editing (even big) .mp4 clips.. ..rendering speed is about 7 minutes per 1 minute orig clip (for resolution HD720) and about 16 minutes per 1 minute orig clip (HD1080).. ..not 'too fast' but usable..

My normal way is to edit small "scenes" about 3-6 minutes and then later to join them as final movie.. ..one feature that would be good in VideoPad: Possibility to join these "scenes" to final movie _without_re-rendering_ (now we can join VideoPad "scene" projects to re-render them but it takes again looooooong time).

Despite my old PC and presented occasional slow motion effect in preview screen - VideoPad was fairly good choice (2010 from versin 2.13) for amateur level (=as me) home editor!! :)

How is rendering speed (roughly) in other VideoPad users - please give comments (with sw version info)!! :)

Is 3.xx versions faster than 2.xx versions?

Hi

I have: MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP2

Intel Core Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20Ghz, 2.0GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GS.........even slower than yours (= as bicycle :) )

But...VP version 2.41 runs fine on this (with MPEG2 particularly) AND it has less bugs. Although I have all the current 3.xxx versions available to use and easy to switch to, I still prefer this version.

I have mentioned elsewhere the possibility of speeding things up by using a file containing small format copies (512 x 288 mpeg2...same size as the previews) of the full size clips having the same names, and using these to do the editing. The process works much faster this way. Once complete and the project saved, the small files are then swapped for the original files (same names, same folder, same destination) and the project reloaded. for rendering. (No time is saved with this last step unfortunately!)

I am a bit surprised that NCH didn't develop 2.41 to include some of the version 3.xxx features (like sequences, clip linking and some of the video effects) without the complications of having multiple video tracks and the continual need to render thumbnails along with the increased data saving in the cache file, all of which takes up time.

"Is 3.xx versions faster than 2.xx versions?"

In short, (on my system,) ...No

Nat

Ok, we are about in same level with "Nat" when comparing PC effectiveness - nice to hear that somebody else still lives in 19th century too.. ;)

Idea about editing with "thumbnails" and to render final situation with original clips sounds smart - but in my case (where original clips are mostly only 10-20 seconds having almost none slow motion effects during editing) it maybe make no sense enough. But this idea will be tested in near future...

Is it true that VideoPad checks only clip/picture file name to take it into project - it does'nt "remember" file size & content? For example I can even change clip/picture content in existing project by change its name same as original in project + then replace old clip/picture with same named new clip/picture having total different content? ;) I have not tested...

Situation that I have not tested too is.. ..if I have destroyed some file in project (by accident for example) and then try to load project into VideoPad - what happend - project content minus destroyed file will be loaded into VP or even none... :) ?

Yes, some of new (3.xx) branch fixes + features would be nice to see as fix onto latest 2.xx too but it is maybe too heavy effort for developers (and for company to pay for it... :) ) to concentrate two sw branches at same time... New branch (3.xx) brings new users and (hopefully by NCH) old VPad 'fans' to company as new customers with their money... :)

Hi

"Is it true that VideoPad checks only clip/picture file name to take it into project - it does'nt "remember" file size & content? "

The project file (.vpj) saves the basic data regarding the clip. Its location and name, the in/out points, sequence position, transitions and effects, subtitles/text/overlay clips, whether muted or not and data regarding any soundtrack associated with the clip and any bookmarks.

The cache file contains a reduced size version of all the clips, images and thumbnails that you see on the editing screen. These are built up as you edit the project or load more clips. The project file (vpj) though contains sufficient data to rebuild the cache file if you happen to delete it. This takes time though and can cause a delay before you can continue to edit your project. If the cache file is still there, obviously the project will load quicker as the images don't need to be created.

"Situation that I have not tested too is.. ..if I have destroyed some file in project (by accident for example) and then try to load project into VideoPad - what happend - project content minus destroyed file will be loaded into VP or even none... :) ?"

If you try to load a project (vpj file) for which you have deleted or moved a clip, VP will load the project with the files it has and will , in V 2.41..print the missing file name in Red in the media list and leave a blank frame on the timeline. You can then locate the missing file by clicking its name in the list and browsing to the folder where it has been moved to. If the clip has been deleated then you will need to reload it back to your PC into its original location. If you then reload the project it will be included as normal.

In VP 3.xxx the missing files will be listed and you will be prompted to either delete them or resolve the problem in a similar way to above.

"...For example I can even change clip/picture content in existing project by change its name same as original in project + then replace old clip/picture with same named new clip/picture having total different content?"

Provided the "new" clip has the same name and is in the same location as the "removed" clip, it will appear in the project in place of the "old" clip irrespective of the content. However the in/out positions (your cut edits), subtitles, sound properties, transition effects etc. that applied to the old clip will now be applied to the new clip.

This is the idea behind possibly editing with identically named reduced size clips (or use MPEG2 clips) to increase rendering speeds or reduce synch problems and then changing the folder name when finished to point to the original MPEG4 clips which are then used to produce the final render.

Nat

Thanks for very clear clarifications!

Now - let's continue editing and testing mentioned things...

VideoPad help pages could a little bit explain how to set cache (size) settings to make it most effective for example related on original file sizes of clips/images in user project to handle. ...and when it is good idea to clean up cache and when not etc... :)