Lengthening Already Cut Clips

thepricefairy

Hello - I have been successfully editing clips , adding overlays and audio tracks in 3.04 until I hit this snag: I would like to make a few clips already cut and added to the sequence LONGER. After my attempts at dragging in and out arrows were denied (like you can do on previous version of software) I have tried 1) Recutting original clip, adding to the sequence, then deleting the shorted version. or 2) Adding a gap by dragging the sequence to the right, and adding the longer clip back into the gap, or 3) adding a blank clip. Each attempt either results in an error message something like "cannot move before due to proximity to another or start of sequence" or the clip immediately following is automatically shortened. What am I doing wrong?

Hi,

"Then if you resize clip A to the right to make it longer then clip B will be moved along in the sequence to make space for it."

Dosen't this unsynch all the independent sound clips associated with the B section.??

If by "independent" you mean unlinked, then it doesn't seem to...

In a quick test, when I both shortened and lengthened clip A (linked), clip B (which was unlinked) stayed in sync.

If both were unlinked, then it was necessary to lengthen audio and video separately, select both prior to making the change, or manually close the gap on one of the tracks.

Hi

Having a look at this procedure.. and yes, grabbing the end of clip A and dragging it to the right moves everything along and it remains together (A yellow line with multiple pointers appears, presumably indicating that everything on the other tracks is linked.) but...

What I find a little confusing with 3.10 is for example...

I load two silent clips one after the other onto the sequence line. (A and B) as shown in the above post.

Now.....I have a visual prompt in the middle of clip B where I want to drop in some sound, and so I move the cursor to this precise point and then add a short sound clip to the cursor position.

I was expecting this "independant" sound clip to appear at the cursor position on the soundtrack and synch with the visuals, as it does in 2.41 (although in that version it remains unlinked.)

What I find is that the sound clip IS placed at the cursor line on the soundtrack, but I find that the main sequence line has been split and the portion to the right of this has been moved up by the length of the sound clip so creating a gap in the visuals. The added sound clip actually plays in the gap. Why is this?

Obviously I am doing something wrong......somewhere. (What?)

How does one add a sound clip without cutting and moving the sequence line to the right?

Must spend more time with this version........trouble is, I do find it slow.... and how do you set the "Default" transition?

Nat

I load two silent clips one after the other onto the sequence line. (A and B) as shown in the above post.

Now.....I have a visual prompt in the middle of clip B where I want to drop in some sound, and so I move the cursor to this precise point and then add a short sound clip to the cursor position.

I was expecting this "independent" sound clip to appear at the cursor position on the soundtrack and synch with the visuals, as it does in 2.41 (although in that version it remains unlinked.)

What I find is that the sound clip IS placed at the cursor line on the soundtrack, but I find that the main sequence line has been split and the portion to the right of this has been moved up by the length of the sound clip so creating a gap in the visuals. The added sound clip actually plays in the gap.

Doesn't do that here - when sound is dropped below two silent clips (no audio track) the video track is unaffected.

If there is an existing audio track (even if UNlinked), then a gap will appear. To avoid that drop the new independent sound to audio track 2.

.... and how do you set the "Default" transition?

Transition duration? TOOLS|OPTIONS|GENERAL|CLIPS

I don't spot a setting for default transition type.

Hi Borate

"If there is an existing audio track (even if UNlinked), then a gap will appear. To avoid that drop the new independent sound to audio track 2."

I can understand that and it's logical. I generally drag and drop but in this test I added the "independant" sound clip by selecting it from the media list and then choosing to add it to the sequence at cursor position by selecting that choice from the menu. (Options having been set to provide the choices). This placed it on soundtrack 1 (presumably because this was empty-the clips being silent) and split the sequence, when I would have thought a lower track without splitting the sequence should have been used. But why does it have to split the sequence anyway? It might be annoying if one is adding sound effects or music clips to a slide show of images to a carefully positioned cursor.

"I don't spot a setting for default transition type. "

No, there isn't one. (unlike 2.41) So what if you want to crossfade between each of a 400 images??? (Phew!! :unsure: )

Nat

"If there is an existing audio track (even if UNlinked), then a gap will appear. To avoid that drop the new independent sound to audio track 2."

I generally drag and drop but in this test I added the "independent" sound clip by selecting it from the media list and then choosing to add it to the sequence at cursor position by selecting that choice from the menu. This places it on soundtrack 1 (presumably because this was empty - the clips being silent) and split the sequence, when I would have thought a lower track without splitting the sequence should have been used.

Here, if audio track 1 is empty, a sound clip that is right-clicked|placed at cursor, left-clicked|dragged to that track or added by means of the green arrow does not split the video sequence. No gap.

"I don't spot a setting for default transition type. "

No' date=' there isn't one. (unlike 2.41) So what if you want to crossfade between each of a 400 images??? (Phew!! :unsure: )[/quote']

Select all the scenes that you want to transition. Click the TRANSITION button and choose the transition type. A prompt appears: "apply to all" or "apply to one."

Hi

"Here, if audio track 1 is empty, a sound clip that is right-clicked|placed at cursor, left-clicked|dragged to that track or added by means of the green arrow does not split the video sequence. No gap."

I tried that just now using two silent clips. Adding the sound bite by by selecting it and using the prompt to place it at the cursor position splits the video track and the sound clip is added to soundtrack 1 under the gap. Dragging from here down to soundtrack 2 still leaves the split as well as the gap.... :unsure:

"Select all the scenes that you want to transition. Click the TRANSITION button and choose the transition type. A prompt appears: "apply to all" or "apply to one."

Ah...yes... Got it! Thanks. (Generally create slideshows with 2.41) :)

Nat

"Here, if audio track 1 is empty, a sound clip that is right-clicked|placed at cursor, left-clicked|dragged to that track or added by means of the green arrow does not split the video sequence. No gap."

I tried that just now using two silent clips. Adding the sound bite by by selecting it and using the prompt to place it at the cursor position splits the video track and the sound clip is added to soundtrack 1 under the gap. Dragging from here down to soundtrack 2 still leaves the split as well as the gap....

Something's not kosher here, Nat. I loaded two moving clips, unlinked their audio tracks and deleted them. Then I opened a music file, trimmed it and dropped it on the audio 1 timeline. No gap.

If I left the original audio untouched and dragged the music to audio track 2 - same deal. No gap. Audio 1 and 2 were mixed and audio 1 remained in sync. Verison 3.10.

http://hevanet.com/hb/snippet.wmv

Am I correct in assuming that version 3.04 simply doesn't allow reediting clips once on the sequence?

Cannot recall that being the case with 3.04. As noted earlier in the thread, it definitely isn't what I see in 3.10. Consider installing it.

When addting to a timeline clip there must be sufficient video on the original, of course, or VP cannot lengthen it.

Hi Pricefairy

"Am I correct in assuming that version 3.04 simply doesn't allow reediting clips once on the sequence? "

You are mistaken.....You can edit clips once placed on the sequence line! I do all mine there. :)

Version 3.04 (better to use 3.10 if you want to continue with 3.xx) is just a little little different to 2.41 when it comes to editing a clip on the sequence line.

You can select it and split it just the same way as before, or use the IN/OUT markers in the left preview pane or you can shorten it by dragging the ends in on the sequence line.

One big difference in the version you have is the multiple videotracks. These tracks all act like overlay tracks in that whatever is placed on them takes precedence over what is placed on the lower ones. Imagine you are looking down from the top. The upper tracks hide the lower ones.

Using this idea, cutting your main sequence clip to shorten it or dragging the end in, is no longer a necessary requirement as the next clip can be placed on videotrack 2 above the main sequence where, if it overlaps the main video it will overplay it.

Lengthening or shortening the exposure of the main track below by moving the upper clip to the right or left will, in effect change it exposure time, and in effect its length.

However, logically, you can't lengthen a clip beyond its actual length. So if you drag the upper clip beyond the end of the main track you will actually create a gap.

The only way you can make a clip "longer" is to slow it down.

Note also that even if you have split and removed a portion of a clip, you haven't actually cut it at all. You have simply added some reference data to the project file to mark your changes which are then shown on screen. You can "recover" any "deleted" portion by dragging the end of the clip back to the right. The reference data is then altered to reflect this. However, as noted above you can't get back what you haven't got in the first place.

Nat