Snapshots being Cropped

jskjolda

I have a user that is expereincing cropping of a snapshot he takes of a video frame. Consistenlty it is cropping the right and bottom of the frame. I have the same software and using the same video can not recreat the problem. My snapshot is what I expect, the whole chosen frame from the video. Is there a setting to change I am missing?

Hi

If you have added the snapshot to videotrack 1 of sequence line, it should be identical to the remainder of the sequence. If it has been added to the overlay track, then there a possibility that the position (Motion) settings are not correct.

So if this is the case, click the yellow star at the left hand end of the snapshot box on the overlay track and check that the values shown are:

Position x(%) = 0

Position y(%) = 0

Rotation = 0

Scale = 1

This should ensure that the snapshot is central and full size.

If you are using version 2.41 and have added the snapshot to the overlay track then you should remember that the default position for the overlay is bottom centre of the screen. (Even if the overlay image is now made full size it will not be central.)

If this is the case then select (click) the overlay box and then click the central square of the arrow matrix under the left hand preview pane. Drag the Size slider to give full size and adjust the opacity to 100%.. The snapshot will (should) then totally cover the main sequence video and be central.

Nat

I am also experiencing cropped photos. Right side and bottom are cropped out ruining the photo. Also, i want to be able to save my photos to a folder of my choice. Right now i have to set the save photo folder in the settings. I need to be able to dub photos out of my video and save them where i want to. it is important for the work i do.

please give the photo button some attention and make it more fully functional.

thank you.

Hi

When you have clicked the Camera icon button (re-inserted in 3.041) does the THUMBNAIL in the images media list show a checkered border on the bit that is missing or is it showing the full frame?

I can't get anything myself (like jskjolda) but a normal full frame snapshot as expected.

20% missing on two sides must be a fault.

However...What format (frame size) video are you using and is the snapshot the same size (despite the missing bits)?

Nat

Hi

It seems from what you describe there is a problem with the version of VP you are using.

The snapshot should be identical to the frame shown at the cursor position. I don't think your camera output is at fault if the image shown in the preview panel of the video looks OK.

Normally if an image is loaded that is not the same aspect ratio as the VP frame (16:9), then it is enlarged or reduced to fit the frame top to bottom or side to side without any distortion. (Its not stretched in any direction ) The areas of the VP frame that are not then covered are shown in the left preview panel and in the sequence line thumbnails as chequered. In the right hand pane though, these areas are shown black and are seen as such when the movie is played.

Snapshots made of these none 16:9 stills are still identical to those on the sequence. Like jskolda I can't reproduce the effect you are describing and I have tried various video formats and image shapes both with version 2.41 and 3.04 and 3.041 and they all snapshot as expected.

I would suggest you try to contact NCH to see if they have any ideas or wait until one of them replies here..(faint hope :( ).

In the meantime...

As a possible test...create (or crop) a still image to an aspect aspect ratio 1:1.777 (i.e. 16:9) e.g 1280 x 720 pixels or a multiple of.

Load this to the media list of VP and drop it onto the sequence line. It should fill the frame completely in both preview panels and have about 5 seconds duration when played (the default).

Place the red line cursor in the centre of the sequence and click the snapshot button. (In 3.04 you will need to open the short menu under the right hand preview panel. In version 3.041 there is a camera button under this pane.

The snapshot should appear in the media list.

It should be identical to the one you placed on the sequence line. In fact you should be able to drop it onto the sequence before or after the one already there and see no difference when one plays onto the next.

Is this the case...or is the snapshot still cropped? If it is then I think you have a problem with your version of VP and I don't know what the answer is.

It might also be of interest to check the image copy you get on the desktop (or wherever your snapshots are saved to.."Options/Media files" just to see if it's the way VP is reproducing its snapshot in the program.

Nat