Audio clips - Duplicating and Joining together on One track

seashell

Hi Members,

I was experimenting with joining together duplicate audio clips on "one" audio track and curious if anyone else had success with this procedure.

I loaded an audio clip to a track and then utilized the magnification icon to zoom-in. This enabled me to begin the detailed process of duplicating and joining-together audio clips (magnification icon located in the bottom right corner of VideoPad ver. 2.41).

I highlighted the audio track (selected it) and clicked the following in the menu bar, Edit-->Duplicate selected sequence clip(s). This resulted in placing an identical copy of the audio clip "next to" the original. I performed this procedure numerous times (about 8 times).

The reason for this procedure was to extend the audio introduction on the audio track. I felt the original was too short. I manipulated each "duplicated" clip by dragging the sides of the clip and shrinking them down to the point that enabled me to connect them all together (lined them up side-by-side) for a smooth audio playback. I tested the new audio sequence by "clicking the play button" and it worked perfectly.

It all worked fine until I used the magnification icon again to "zoom out" of the project to begin the process of working with clip transitions etc. Upon completion, I performed a “test” and clicked the "play button" and all the audio clips played back in a scrambled mess.

Assuming the magnification “zoom-out” was the issue, I zoomed back-in but still no luck. The audio clips I worked very hard on were permanently scrambled. I have no idea what happened or why?

I then assumed the corrupted files were a result of skipping a step in the process. After completing the detailed process of joining together all the duplicated clips, was I suppose to save the entire audio sequence as “One” audio file and load it back into the “Media List” as a “new” audio file? If so, how do I accomplish this?

I could not find a way to save the new audio clip as they were all “unlinked”. Even though I had the clips joined together, there were lines separating them and when I tried to highlight the entire audio sequence I was only able to highlight one duplicated clip at a time. In other words, I could not find a way to “link together” all the duplicated audio clips as “one” new audio clip.

Specifications using:

Windows 7

VideoPad version 2.41

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi

There should be no problem with this, although in version 2.41 you can't "join" the audio clips together.

You describe the steps which I use to duplicate and add on sound sections. Why you get a "scrambled mess" when you use zoom I don't know. One thing worth noting when it comes to adjusting sound clips...

If you have trimmed a clip and adjusted the ends by dragging to isolate accurately the sound section you want. then drag the clip left so it overlaps the previous sound (assuming you want to get them to play with no gap, and ,of course they are on the same track.) The selected clip, (clip 2) when released, will automatically jump right and adjust itself to follow the previous one, leaving a thin blue line at the join. If your trims are OK then this should play perfectly with no break from clip 1 to clip 2.

However if you now inadvertantly right click your joined up clip 2 , say, to highlight it, and then for some reason left click it. Your clip will fractionally move to the right leaving a gap. Something to watch out for if they are on the same track, but it can be used to accurately position a clip placed on a lower track.

I can't see why using the zoom should cause a problem though, as I have often used zoom to get close to a cut point and after zooming out making the join by dragging the clip 2 back over clip 1 and releasing it as mentioned above . Join is perfect.

There has been an odd occasion where zooming out has shown the "join" line thicker than it should be. But by simply repeating the overlapping action (no need to remake the "cut") the join jumps back correctly and stays there.

If you feel there is going to be this problem then every time you make a join that plays correctly, just "Save Project File" and then carry on with the next join.That way you will always have a project file to fall onto. Can't think of anything else.

....If under Options/Other you have sound files set to push to the right...that might cause things to out of synch if you are adding something to a gap that is too small. (Don't think you would be doing that <_< though) :) too obvious!

Nat