Question about scrolling and avi

JeffL2

I'm a new user with lots of questions. To start -

1. Is there a way to make scrolling text stop scrolling while the end of the text is displayed.

2. Problem with saving the movie as an avi. When the movie is played back on Windows Media Player, it plays the sound, but instead of a video, I get the the graphics display you would normally see when playing an audio file. I know that the video was created due to the size of the file. It plays back fine if I save the movie and an wmv file.

Quit looking on question 2. I installed media.player.codec.pack.v4.2.5 and that fixed it. I left the question there incase it helps someone else.

Using Version 3.

Hi,

As far as I know, you can't stop the text scrolling off the screen. :( (I am using v2.41 but I think 3.0 works pretty much the same if I remember.) Anyway these comments relate to 2.41.

You can get it to stop, in a roundabout way, by extending the text overlay beyond the end of the sequence line.

In preview you will see the film finish with a blank black screen with the scrolling text stationary. By adjusting the position of the overlay you can get your text to stop at any point. You can neaten the effect if you fade out the sequence if you want.

The problem now is that the saved film stops along with the text and then disappears straight away to a blank screen.

So, before you try this. Save your project.

Now remove everything except the last clip/s over which you want the text to scroll.

Add your scrolling text overlay.

Slide it beyond the end of the sequence line.

Review the sequence and adjust the overlap to get it to stop where you want.

Now save this as short avi clip to your PC.

Reload the project

Reload the avi back to the media list.

You can now place it at the end of your sequence and continue to add to it.

Nat

Hi

Well, as I said, this works in version 2.41. :) but as I don't have V3.01 running at the moment I can't give those steps a try with it.

However it seems odd that the sequence line would extend itself in the way you describe if you have pulled the overlay text along (or lengthened it) so that it extends beyond the end of the main sequence track, as this would imply your film has in some way been made longer (and therefore slower) to accommodate it.

Nat