Using clips

Joy P

I'm quite new to Videopad, but find it quite intuitive (V3). But my video clips imported into the left-hand window seem to be in quite haphazard order, so I have difficulty finding each one in turn to add to the clip preview window for editing. I am trying to make a movie from clips taken on holiday, and there are a lot of them. I have to keep going back to the folder that they were originally uploaded to from my camcorder, where they are in order. Does anyone know a way round this?

Hi

In V3 I am not sure whether you can alter the media list file order after they are loaded as I have switched back to V2 which I still prefer. The following refers to V2.41.

If you want the files (clips) in media list to be in the same order as your clips in the PC folder, then open VP and then reduce it. Now open your PC folder holding your clips and reduce that as well, so you can see both windows side by side. Now on your PC folder click Edit and Select all. Now drag all the files which you have highlighted in the PC folder across and drop them onto the VP media list window. They should all load in order. (May take some time if you have a lot.) If you use the VP "Add Media" tab then numbered files will load in digit "sorted" order ....1, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15,........2, 20, 21 ....3, 30, 31... etc.

Now, If you want them to all load to the sequence line in media order then left click clip one, scroll down to the last clip on the list, hold down the Shift key and left click the last clip, they should all highlight in the media list. Right click the highlighted list and select "Add items to the sequence".

Provided you have set "Options" /"Other" for adding clips to end of the sequence, the clips will be added one after another with the default transition, (which is also set up in "Options",) between each of them. (The default transition is not implemented in V3 as far as I could see.)

Nat

Here's how I have to do it....

Add file (video)

Click on imported video once...it gets loaded to clip preview window.

Okay, you will be selecting clips of the video that you want to add to final movie...(can't do it the other way around!)

Click on timeline part of clip preview window, at its beginning, of the portion of video you want to keep.

Then click red set in point button.

Then go back to clip preview windows timeline and click at end of video segment your keeping.

Click blue set out point button.

Then click green "add clip to sequence"

For more parts of the same imported video....

left click on a part of the Videopad program that will leave the clip preview window blank...it will say "no clip selected"

ignore sequence preview window

when clicking be sure not to hightlight bottom sequence video track, this will cause program not to clear clip preview window

then start again...

click on imported video once...

select beginning and end of next clip...etc.etc.

green button will change to say add clip to beginning or end of final sequence....

Once your clips are all in bottom sequence window you can highlight each clip and move them around to order them.

Sometimes Videopad placed a clip where I couldn't see them in bottom sequence window until I scrolled it.

That is exactly what I do. My problem is that I have already imported all my clips, and need to sort out their order before loading them into the clip preview window. I only bought Videopad recently, so don't know whether I can go back to V2.

So far the only way I have found to do it is by going back to the files in the PC folder to check their number. I have the clips in thumbnail view in the media list window, but it is still hard to identify the order - their file numbers do not seem to be in any sequence. I just have to slog it out!

Okay, I think this might help you.

Drag and drop you videos into the Video Files Window in the program.

In that window there are buttons that show a x, a folder with a plus, a down arrow, and the last one is squares or lines with a dot at the beginning.

That last button lets you switch between thumbnail and list views.

When in list view you have clips, type,clip duration, clip in point, etc.

If you click on the clips button it will order the videos based on name.

Then click the button you used to get into list views and it will go back to thumbnail view, but in order.

It look like you could also sort them as type,clip duration,clip in point,etc...