misplaced overlays

meri333

I just read 'son of a gun' topic. I agree with your answer and did exactly like you said, but...My problem is this (not the first time): In the preview mode my picture or video overlays are next to one another, but when I save the video they are partly on top of each other. I did not change the detected resolution before saving it. I change the resolution in the second atempt and made it wide screen, but with the same bad result. Once saved I first play it in Video pad and VLC player, baaaaad. I uploaded anyway, there it is

Please help if you can. Thanks

Hi

Yes, I can see what you mean. I have a feeling from some previous tests that there might be some problem linked to the rendering of the video track and the overlay track as separate tracks (might totally wrong though) as I have found something similar happenning with overlay text not being exactly where it was originally placed. This seems dependant on the chosen output.

With your "split screen" (which works actually rather well) I think you have to make certain that the overlays are in the correct order top to bottom and they are scaled exactly to the display video. This is especially phaffy as their size does jump in quite large increments if you are not careful.

I also think its a good idea to do a very short test sequence using the expected settings just be certain it's going to work.

Nat

Is that have something to do with the overlay picture size in pixel? Or not. I mean that I have to calculate 1/3 or 1/4 of the screen, in order to fit? Concerning the output, I have only one choice, that is the .avi file (free Videopad. Finally to check the sequences I have to save them first, grrr.

Hi

Yes, I can see what you mean. I have a feeling from some previous tests that there might be some problem linked to the rendering of the video track and the overlay track as separate tracks (might totally wrong though) as I have found something similar happenning with overlay text not being exactly where it was originally placed. This seems dependant on the chosen output.

With your "split screen" (which works actually rather well) I think you have to make certain that the overlays are in the correct order top to bottom and they are scaled exactly to the display video. This is especially phaffy as their size does jump in quite large increments if you are not careful.

I also think its a good idea to do a very short test sequence using the expected settings just be certain it's going to work.

Nat

Hi

"Is that have something to do with the overlay picture size in pixel? Or not. I mean that I have to calculate 1/3 or 1/4 of the screen, in order to fit? "

I wouldn't have thought that would need to be done as you have to pull them out anyway to put them at the size you want against the sequence image.(Using the corner control) However it might make things easier if the aspect ratio is correct for the place you are going to put it. Otherwise they would distort if pulled out vertically. In the test I did, I used 4 videos as the overlays which had obviously the same shape as the blank frame used as the background. Hence they fitted into each corner. The output saved in the original size (1280 x 720) seemed to work OK. I didn't try anything else as it was simply in response to a query. You could always try resizing or cropping the images in an external editor before placing them on the overlay track and then see what happens.

Nat

I thought of that seeing tutorial of others editors like Sony Vegas, where the spleet screen is calculated in pixels. thanks for ideas and your help. I try to use that method to see how it is working. I think it is better to put the neutral background, or a still picture and overlays the video and pictures, then I can push them around better. Bye, I let you know.

Hi

"Is that have something to do with the overlay picture size in pixel? Or not. I mean that I have to calculate 1/3 or 1/4 of the screen, in order to fit? "

I wouldn't have thought that would need to be done as you have to pull them out anyway to put them at the size you want against the sequence image.(Using the corner control) However it might make things easier if the aspect ratio is correct for the place you are going to put it. Otherwise they would distort if pulled out vertically. In the test I did, I used 4 videos as the overlays which had obviously the same shape as the blank frame used as the background. Hence they fitted into each corner. The output saved in the original size (1280 x 720) seemed to work OK. I didn't try anything else as it was simply in response to a query. You could always try resizing or cropping the images in an external editor before placing them on the overlay track and then see what happens.

Nat