Doing Clip Cuts

Cbuck

I was using V2.41 and tried making 'cuts' as my first attempt. I set the 'in and out' settings. In the help manual it states that in doing cuts, immediately to the right of the 'in/out' flags is a button for using the 'Save As' feature to save the new clip. I can't find this button. Anyone? Thanks! P.S. I posted this earlier, this AM, but now, cannot find my post. Probably did something wrong. Label me Newbie.

Hi

OK.Here's what you do...

You must be in timeline mode. Don't put the clip to be edited on the sequence line, otherwise you will have to remove it later.(It doesn't matter if you do-it's just an extra step to take it off again)

Now left click your clip on the media list and it will appear in the left hand preview pane with a row of thumbnails under it. Move (drag) the red and blue In and Out flags to the position you want. You may need to scroll the pane left or right with the scroll bar at the bottom to see its full length. The selected piece of the clip between the markers will be shown with a green band along the bottom.

Now immediately beneath your clip in the centre of the lower panel, are two boxes displaying the position of your markers. To the right of this are the in and out flag buttons and to the right of these is a button with a logo of a piece of film.

Click this button and your section of film will be copied to the media list, from where you can drag it to the sequence. Alternatively you can set the markers and then click the green arrow which will directly place the clip onto the sequence. That's the method you were looking at.

As an alternative method you can also directly edit the film clip when placed on the sequence line by dragging the ends right or left to the desired point. There is no need to involve the in/out markers.

Or , if you need to be more exact, you can play the sequence in the right hand preview pane and stop the red cursor at the desired point. You can adjust this point with the <> buttons to either side of the triangular Play button. Once you have the position set you can then split the sequence with the "Split" button on the left, followed by removal the unwanted sections.

Note that in these two scenarios you are not actually cutting or creating a new clip as the first procedure does. Consequently in the event of a mistake (even if you have apparently deleted the unwanted bits) you can restore the clip to its full length again by pulling out the ends of the section left behind.

Hope this helps. Come back if it's not clear.

Nat

Hi

OK.Here's what you do...

You must be in timeline mode. Don't put the clip to be edited on the sequence line, otherwise you will have to remove it later.(It doesn't matter if you do-it's just an extra step to take it off again)

Now left click your clip on the media list and it will appear in the left hand preview pane with a row of thumbnails under it. Move (drag) the red and blue In and Out flags to the position you want. You may need to scroll the pane left or right with the scroll bar at the bottom to see its full length. The selected piece of the clip between the markers will be shown with a green band along the bottom.

Now immediately beneath your clip in the centre of the lower panel, are two boxes displaying the position of your markers. To the right of this are the in and out flag buttons and to the right of these is a button with a logo of a piece of film.

Click this button and your section of film will be copied to the media list, from where you can drag it to the sequence. Alternatively you can set the markers and then click the green arrow which will directly place the clip onto the sequence. That's the method you were looking at.

As an alternative method you can also directly edit the film clip when placed on the sequence line by dragging the ends right or left to the desired point. There is no need to involve the in/out markers.

Or , if you need to be more exact, you can play the sequence in the right hand preview pane and stop the red cursor at the desired point. You can adjust this point with the <> buttons to either side of the triangular Play button. Once you have the position set you can then split the sequence with the "Split" button on the left, followed by removal the unwanted sections.

Note that in these two scenarios you are not actually cutting or creating a new clip as the first procedure does. Consequently in the event of a mistake (even if you have apparently deleted the unwanted bits) you can restore the clip to its full length again by pulling out the ends of the section left behind.

Hope this helps. Come back if it's not clear.

Nat

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I'm just testing Video Pad for the first time and could not cut clips. After reading this and looking again, the green arrow appears the first time I try to cut a clip but not if I then try to cut another part out of the same bit of video. Also I do not see a film logo and under Edit/Clip, the option to save as a new clip is greyed out. I have downloaded the free software. Is this possibly a limitation unless you buy the software? I couldn't find anything on the website to say what the limitations are.

Hi Peterm

Check the version you are using (bottom left of display).

In VP 4.21 you can put a clip onto the sequence line and then left click it to preview it in the left hand pane.

As I mentioned earlier - Below the preview is a green bar and below this is a row of thumbnails depicting the clip.

Below these is a space containing the play and <> buttons, the In/Out positions,the In/Out flags, the "Save as New Clip" button and the Green down arrow. The latter is to add the selected portion of the clip to the sequence.

Note that this will NOT normally be active until you slice the clip or set the IN/OUT points, but it MAY be active if the In/Out flags have previously been set.

Set the IN flag by right clicking the clip in the preview (or playing it to the point you want) and then pressing the red flag. Repeat for the OUT clip. The flags will set at the cursor position. The section selected will show a shorter green bar above it whilst the unselected lengths will be dark (but visible.)

Click the green arrow to add the selected section of clip to the sequence.

If you want another and different selection from the same clip, readjust the IN/OUT points in the left hand preview pane and use the Green arrow button again. You can do this any number of times. Note however that the data appended to the clip in the Media lsit window will reflect the latest IN/OUT points and (see below)** if you re-add the clip from there, then it's length will be the shown trimmed length and portion. However you can still pull the ends out to adjust the playing duration of this once it is on the sequence.

If you find you still can't do this then as described above, then simply cut the clip on the sequence line using the Split feature.You can do this multiple times to separate out the bits you want and then you can remove the unwanted bits after.

If you find you need another clip that incorporates a bit you have removed as well as a bit of what you keep, there is nothing to prevent you adding the full clip again ** and making another selection.

Nat

Hi Nat

Thanks for the reply.

I re-tested again from scratch. On the first portion I select using the In and Out point markers, the green arrow to add the clip to the sequence appears however there is no film icon or button to save it as a new clip. Under the Edit/Clip menu, the Save Selected Clip as New Clip option is greyed out. If I use the green aroow button the clip I selected is added to the timeline sequence and also the details of the clip appear in the Clips box on the left hand side.

If I then move the in/out markers to another portion of the video, the green arrow no longer appears and the second clip I selected automatically is added to the timeline sequence and the clips box, but it replaces the first one I did inh both places rather than adding the new one in addition.

I suspect it must be some limitation NCH have put on the free download but can't find any reference to it. All their documentation says is that the free download should have full functionality but export options will be limited after 14 days, but it appears the version I downloaded to test before I buy it doesn't work the same as yours. It is version 2.41.

I watched the video tutorial and I can see the clip save button you mention but it doesn't appear on the software I have. I also tried the split method and it seems to work OK.

Thanks again for your help.

Peter

Hi

I can't see why you don't have the buttons as my version is also VP 4.21 (Unlicenced free version) with reduced output facility. It might be a good idea to try the download again, or delete the program and rerun the setup file. Pretty certain that it's not a limitation.

However, using the normal split function is generally good enough for most things, and mimics what we used to do with film in the bad old days. (Perhaps the good old days? ;) )

The main difference being you only had one bit of film and couldn't add the same bit further on unlike with video, and splicing it meant losing a couple of frames each time....No! they were the bad old days! :) )

Nat

I see why there's a difference in the buttons you're seeing. Over on the left, just above the list of files, there's a button on the right - hover over it and it says "toggle media list styles." Click on that, and you'll have the other buttons available (the film strip icon, and the down arrown icon), after you click on a clip that is already in your sequence.

I see why there's a difference in the buttons you're seeing. Over on the left, just above the list of files, there's a button on the right - hover over it and it says "toggle media list styles." Click on that, and you'll have the other buttons available (the film strip icon, and the down arrown icon), after you click on a clip that is already in your sequence.

Ah yes that fixed it. Thanks Schultzie!

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Here's how I have to do it....

Add file (video)

Click on imported video once...it get loaded to clip preview window.

Okay, you will be selecting clips of the video that you want to add to final movie...

Click on timeline part of clip preview window at its beginning of the portion of video you want to keep.

Then click red set in point button.

Then go back to clip preview windows timeline and click at end of video segment your keeping.

Click blue set out point button.

Then click green "add clip to sequence"

For more parts of the same imported video....

left click on a part of the Videopad program that will leave the clip preview window blank...it will say "no clip selected"

ignore sequence preview window

when clicking be sure not to hightlight bottom sequence video track, this will cause it not to clear clip preview window

then start again...

click on imported video once...

select beginning of next clip...etc.etc.

green button will change to say add clip to beginning or end of final sequence....

Once your clips are all in bottom sequence you can highlight each clip and move them around to order them.

Sometimes it placed clip where I couldn't see them in bottom sequence window until I scrolled it.