How to save transcribed text?

Mojo_08

I downloaded Express Scribe yesterday, spent 20 minutes transcribing an mp3 which I'd loaded into it, saw a check mark atop screen and figured it was for spell check, clicked it and 30 minutes of work disappeared as my text vanished. It was not recoverable. I re-did the work and this time selected Save As from within the Express Scribe menu. There is no "Done" button as is shown in the tutorial on this site. I gave the file a name and figured I'd saved it, since I'd clicked on the Save As button. But when i went back to retrieve the file later, it retrieved only the mp3, not the text. What gives? Is this just a buggy program that doesn't work on my Mac OS X 10.5.6 or what? So my question is simple. How. Do. You. Save. Text In This Program. Because I've already spent a few hours and have a lot of transcription to do. I love some of the features, like slowable plaback, but it's useless to me if I can save text. Shouldn't there be a prompt, anyway, before you lose all your text?

Mojo

saw a check mark atop screen and figured it was for spell check, clicked it and 30 minutes of work disappeared as my text vanished.

Transcriptions that have been marked as Done (which is what the icon with the check-mark does) can be recovered by selecting File -> "Recover Old Files..."

How. Do. You. Save. Text In This Program.

Many people choose to transcribe into a word processor, rather than use the Notes window of Scribe. (The latter has a limitation on the total number of characters, as well as being less friendly to use). If you do choose to type into the Notes window and you want to save as a TXT/DOC/whatever then you'll have to copy & paste into a document in the relevant program.

• 3 months later...
I downloaded Express Scribe yesterday, spent 20 minutes transcribing an mp3 which I'd loaded into it, saw a check mark atop screen and figured it was for spell check, clicked it and 30 minutes of work disappeared as my text vanished. It was not recoverable. I re-did the work and this time selected Save As from within the Express Scribe menu. There is no "Done" button as is shown in the tutorial on this site. I gave the file a name and figured I'd saved it, since I'd clicked on the Save As button. But when i went back to retrieve the file later, it retrieved only the mp3, not the text. What gives? Is this just a buggy program that doesn't work on my Mac OS X 10.5.6 or what? So my question is simple. How. Do. You. Save. Text In This Program. Because I've already spent a few hours and have a lot of transcription to do. I love some of the features, like slowable plaback, but it's useless to me if I can save text. Shouldn't there be a prompt, anyway, before you lose all your text?

Mojo

You transcribed into the Express Scribe notes screen?!! Open a Word doc and save in the usual way. The two-arrows button recovers old dictations, try that to see if your work is still there (then copy and paste into Word).