Install to a drive other than C?

tshel94335

Hi:

I just installed the software but noticed it automatically installed on the C drive. Is there a way to install it on different drive? My C drive is full and I can't use it to edit videos.

Sorry, if this is a really stupid question. :huh:

Thanks in advance,

Kristin

Hi:

I just installed the software but noticed it automatically installed on the C drive. Is there a way to install it on different drive? My C drive is full and I can't use it to edit videos.

Sorry, if this is a really stupid question. :huh:

Thanks in advance,

Kristin

Kristin,

I had exactly the same problem as you have, which induced me, after having 'Windows' re-installed, to put many of my executables onto drives other than 'Drive C:\', where stuff is usually dumped by 'default' unless you specify an alternative 'path'. So, it's a far from silly question.

I cannot recall, just off the top of my head, how I did it, but it was easy, and 'obvious'. My advice would be to uninstall 'VideoPad' from Drive C:\ and do another complete installation. Keep an eye open during the various 'screens' etc. which open as you go through the installation process, and look for a 'browse' prompt which will give you the opportunity to install to a different location. I'm sure there's one there somewhere.

Having done that, use every 'preference' setting possible to specify alternative destinations for 'temp' files and anything else which is directed, usually, to 'C:\Documents and Settings...........' by default. I usually open a 'Project' file for an entire undertaking, and put in its sub-directory a 'file' for each purpose. If it's just a few clips at a time, you might save money by using a 'flash' device with a few gB's of capacity for that purpose, but probably a USB-connected hard-drive would be better. What 'VideoPad' puts onto Drive C:\ of its own volition is not very much, the problem is actually, what portions of your projects are written to 'C:\ Docs and Sets' while you are unaware of it.

If you do not wish to have your problem recur in the future, find places for all temp-files etc. elsewhere, would be my advice.

Ian Smith

Dunedin, N.Z.

• 9 years later...
On 4/7/2009 at 9:21 AM, IAN SMITH said:

Kristin,

I had exactly the same problem as you have, which induced me, after having 'Windows' re-installed, to put many of my executables onto drives other than 'Drive C:\', where stuff is usually dumped by 'default' unless you specify an alternative 'path'. So, it's a far from silly question.

I cannot recall, just off the top of my head, how I did it, but it was easy, and 'obvious'. My advice would be to uninstall 'VideoPad' from Drive C:\ and do another complete installation. Keep an eye open during the various 'screens' etc. which open as you go through the installation process, and look for a 'browse' prompt which will give you the opportunity to install to a different location. I'm sure there's one there somewhere.

Having done that, use every 'preference' setting possible to specify alternative destinations for 'temp' files and anything else which is directed, usually, to 'C:\Documents and Settings...........' by default. I usually open a 'Project' file for an entire undertaking, and put in its sub-directory a 'file' for each purpose. If it's just a few clips at a time, you might save money by using a 'flash' device with a few gB's of capacity for that purpose, but probably a USB-connected hard-drive would be better. What 'VideoPad' puts onto Drive C:\ of its own volition is not very much, the problem is actually, what portions of your projects are written to 'C:\ Docs and Sets' while you are unaware of it.

If you do not wish to have your problem recur in the future, find places for all temp-files etc. elsewhere, would be my advice.

Ian Smith

Dunedin, N.Z.

well that's a shame, I'm using an SSD as my c drive and a 1tb HDD as a secondary drive

(yes i know this post is from 2009 and they still dont have this feature 10 years later)

Kristin,

The VideoPad is automatically installed at folder C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software and the size is pretty small (less than 20 MB). 

For all used media&cache files you may choose your favorite disk locations from  Menu => Tools => Options => Disk  That is all you need to change. 

• 7 months later...

I'm having the same problem.  I have a new HP Stream laptop.  After buying it (had an emergency in which I just had to bite the bullet and buy an el cheapo laptop to get some work related things done), I discovered that it has almost no memory, just enough to run the OS.  So I bought an external USB connection drive, and transferred every single thing except the OS onto the external drive, which has helped some.  In my struggles, i didn't get this Video Pad software transferred over, so it is still installed on C:/ and it is painfully slow even just saving a video project into a mp4.  I'm not even connected to the internet at the moment, it is just saving a completed work.  I was in the middle of a video project at the time and didn't want to lose my work, but I found after purchasing, that it saved a backup copy of the Video Pad (executable?) on the hard drive.  So after this excruciatingly slow 18 minute video is done making itself into video and not just a VP project... I will probably do that. I do hope there aren't issues reinstalling the software, because there sure were issues purchasing it.   Dude, I have a farm to run and I do NOT have time to be playing footsies with computers all day.  And do realize that I cleaned up this language QUITE a bit.  SO tired of computers running my life. They are supposed to be making life EASIER.  

I have set Windows to automatically install to the external drive, but this Video Pad software seems to override that? It keeps installing to C:/ drive. Which runs slow as heck.   And I have to pay extra to get tech support to fux this issue? I already paid for 3 months!!!!!  Your software does not give the option to tell it the location to install it to!!!!!

Ya, no. Sitting here, waiting on this thing to create a video file, excruciatingly slow, and it won't install to the external drive.  Wow... I sure hope whoever buys software doesn't buy a cheap computer, bc you will be sitting here for DAYS. And there is no way to fix it.  Money, money, money, money, money...  Rethinking buying the whole software package, because I cannot go buy another laptop.  Bc... money, money, money, money....  it is a simple thing to tell the software where to store the files at install.