Can't delete old files

audiofool

Has anyone run into this problem ?

After I'm done making a CD, I'll try to delete the files by highlighting the selections then going to the file icon and clicking on remove files. It clears the screen temporarily, but it comes back even if you shut down the program. My selections now show "untitled 167". I would certainly think that after deleting the files, you would start out again at "untitled #1".

Thanks

Has anyone run into this problem ?

After I'm done making a CD, I'll try to delete the files by highlighting the selections then going to the file icon and clicking on remove files. It clears the screen temporarily, but it comes back even if you shut down the program. My selections now show "untitled 167". I would certainly think that after deleting the files, you would start out again at "untitled #1".

Thanks

I haven't had exactly your problem - I can delete the files from within Golden Records, but you should know that Vista, if you are using it, can exhibit some strange behaviour because of where GR stores its files (C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\NCH Swift Sound\Golden) ... I think that is the correct path, but I might have left something out - GR is on my laptop and it isn't here right now. The other thing that I have experienced is that GR places files in a second folder - in my case my "Music" folder and in my case, it does not delete those files. I use xplorer2 pro to get at the files and remove them - Windows Explorer should work as well, but it might not like the primary location. You could try deleting the files manually from both locations. Also, check that you are using the latest version of GR - Under "Help", click "Check for New Version." Be advised though that you might have to pay for the upgrade. Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

I haven't had exactly your problem - I can delete the files from within Golden Records, but you should know that Vista, if you are using it, can exhibit some strange behaviour because of where GR stores its files (C:\Users\Name\AppData\Roaming\NCH Swift Sound\Golden) ... I think that is the correct path, but I might have left something out - GR is on my laptop and it isn't here right now. The other thing that I have experienced is that GR places files in a second folder - in my case my "Music" folder and in my case, it does not delete those files. I use xplorer2 pro to get at the files and remove them - Windows Explorer should work as well, but it might not like the primary location. You could try deleting the files manually from both locations. Also, check that you are using the latest version of GR - Under "Help", click "Check for New Version." Be advised though that you might have to pay for the upgrade. Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Thanks for the reply Phil,

When I have a chance, I'll try your options.

It does seem that files are being stored somewhere else and therefore not allowing me to delete.

Thanks again,

Bill

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi. Learning to use GR takes a good bit of trial and error. I have been using the program (v.1.10) for two years with great results and happiness. There are a number of factors involved in obtaining optimal results and as witnessed by the many frustrations shared in posts here the solutions can be illusive. I'll try to be brief today and just address the topic of this thread as clearly as I can. I use NCH programs on a pc, windows xp.

To clear the window (and your hard drive) the first suggestion I have is to click on the options tab at the top of the GR main window and check the box "Delete files permantly when deleting from the main window". This should enable you to clear the files from the window and the default folder that GR uses behind the scenes for its' storage (by selecting the tracks you wish to discard, right click and chose "remove file(s)".)

Also, once the GR main window is empty, if you wish to have your next recordings begin with "untitled 01", shut down and reopen the program (otherwise it will name/number the next new file sequentially from title (number) of the last recording it made) Once I have successfully recorded an album, I always clear the GR window and restart the program for my next project. This keeps things neat and managable, and I know I have the files saved in my own folder to work with (see below.)

In the Recording Output Format window of the wizard I check " Make copy to:" , and browse for my "albums folder" . This will create a copy of each file that is independent from the one the program holds in its memory. Make sure you click "Next" at the bottom and finish out the wizard. Henceforth these settings should stay the default each time you use GR. I save my lp recordings to a desktop folder (I label it "albums") and after recording both sides, working within the "albums" folder, I create a new folder with the albums' name, drag the new files to it, and then rename the tracks (ie. "1.song title"); putting a number before the track name will make windows keep them in order for later use when burning to disc. As Phil mentions, these files can be deleted manually ( just drag them to the recycle bin.)

My methods perhaps take more time than some wish to spend - my filing procedures work for me and I enjoy working with music files (and I don't mind renaming files either.) I get quicker and more systematic at the processes the more I do. I use WavePad to edit and clean up my tracks. Loading larger wav files into the program can take a bit of patience, but the end result - having an old favorite album or cassette burnt to a cd that I can listen to/share anywhere - is time well spent.

I guess I'll also mention here, as others have said elsewhere, that if you are having trouble with tracks being split up due to the auto split feature settings or the nature of the recording, I find it saner to uncheck that feature (click on the option tab in the recording session window and uncheck "Auto Split Files based on Noise Floor") and record each side as one track. Then split it up in WavePad. Knowing the track lengths from the record will make it easy to locate where to split the file.

I have found WavePad quite well suited to my uses. I don't confess to knowing how to use many of its features, but in addition to splitting the tracks, which I prefer over pasting bits together, you can clean up the often crackly silence between tracks ( Amplify: gain: 0) Depending on your preference, patience and the condition of the lp/cassette it is possible to spend hours cleaning up the recording, but I'll leave that for another time.

Hope this is of some help. Vapors