.cda file is 50 minutes long, scribe says 30 minutes

dgoddard

Hello,

I am in need of help. I have received some recordings of sermons. The files are .cda files. Scribe loaded two of the four with no problem from one CD. The third file has about 20 minutes cut off, and the fourth file shows zero duration.

I have tried 10 times to load that long track. It never gives me more than 34 mins, and sometimes as little as 26 mins. I should also mention that the track loads very slowly.

I have checked my hard drive space availability. I am running the 4.30 version of Scribe. I have windows XP. I have tried using windows media player and Realplayer to rip the CD to .mp3, but it fails and doesn't tell me why.

I also tried uninstalling Scribe, to install an older version to see if that would help, but when I install the older version it acts like I never uninstalled 4.30 except it plays the introduction for me again.

I am on a deadline and ready to throw my computer at the nearest hard surface....any suggestions on how to get the track to load correctly? I have seven more cds and I can't even imagine having this problem on all of them.

Thanks in advance....

Well,

Thank you all for the total lack of response to my question. If I manage to find a solution on my own, perhaps I will post it on this thread so that someone else with the same issue won't have to enjoy the same deafening silence after posting a plea for assistance.

Hello,

I am in need of help. I have received some recordings of sermons. The files are .cda files. Scribe loaded two of the four with no problem from one CD. The third file has about 20 minutes cut off, and the fourth file shows zero duration.

I have tried 10 times to load that long track. It never gives me more than 34 mins, and sometimes as little as 26 mins. I should also mention that the track loads very slowly.

I have checked my hard drive space availability. I am running the 4.30 version of Scribe. I have windows XP. I have tried using windows media player and Realplayer to rip the CD to .mp3, but it fails and doesn't tell me why.

I also tried uninstalling Scribe, to install an older version to see if that would help, but when I install the older version it acts like I never uninstalled 4.30 except it plays the introduction for me again.

I am on a deadline and ready to throw my computer at the nearest hard surface....any suggestions on how to get the track to load correctly? I have seven more cds and I can't even imagine having this problem on all of them.

Thanks in advance....

If three different programs are all having troubles reading the CD then doesn't that suggest there's something wrong with the CD, not the software?

They were not having trouble reading the cd. They couldn't rip it. That is because it was just the 44bytes instead of the rippable track. The only reason I was even trying to rip it was because escribe can't see the whole track and import it properly. Windows media player, Winamp and Realplayer all see the track as about 50 minutes and escribe only imports 33 minutes at most.

They were not having trouble reading the cd. They couldn't rip it. That is because it was just the 44bytes instead of the rippable track.

The 44 byte CDA file is just Windows' short-cuts to the actual audio CD data. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_Audio_track_shortcut

Express Scribe is trying to rip the tracks, just like the other software that you mentioned. That's why "the track loads very slowly".

If it's an audio CD and you can't rip it to MP3 using any other software then you won't be able to load it in Scribe either. The disc might be damaged, it might have been created (burned) incorrectly, or it might be protected by some form of copy protection.

Thank you.

The 44 byte CDA file is just Windows' short-cuts to the actual audio CD data. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_Audio_track_shortcut

Express Scribe is trying to rip the tracks, just like the other software that you mentioned. That's why "the track loads very slowly".

If it's an audio CD and you can't rip it to MP3 using any other software then you won't be able to load it in Scribe either. The disc might be damaged, it might have been created (burned) incorrectly, or it might be protected by some form of copy protection.

• 2 months later...
Well,

Thank you all for the total lack of response to my question. If I manage to find a solution on my own, perhaps I will post it on this thread so that someone else with the same issue won't have to enjoy the same deafening silence after posting a plea for assistance.

Hi dgoddard,

I am having the same problem with the spiritual classes that I want to transcribe. Express Scribe is showing only half of the original recording. I am not a big computer techy but am keen to learn how to fix this problem. Any suggestions. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Brownie

Hey there...it ended up being solved by ripping it on another computer and then putting it on a flash drive and bringing it back to the laptop I work on. A hassle, but at least it got done.

Hi dgoddard,

I am having the same problem with the spiritual classes that I want to transcribe. Express Scribe is showing only half of the original recording. I am not a big computer techy but am keen to learn how to fix this problem. Any suggestions. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Brownie

Hey there...it ended up being solved by ripping it on another computer and then putting it on a flash drive and bringing it back to the laptop I work on. A hassle, but at least it got done.

Sounds like it was quite a production! Is there any way I can get a copy of what you copied onto the flash drive? Is it feasible to mail you something, an SD card or memory card perhaps, to transfer the version? I understand if it is not possible but I just thought to ask.

Cheers and thanks,

Brownie

No....I think I didn't explain it properly. My son has a newer Gateway computer. The CD that wouldn't load properly or rip on my laptop ripped just fine on his. So I ripped it, dropped it on a flash and then loaded on to my computer. After that I loaded it as normal into the transcription software.

Sounds like it was quite a production! Is there any way I can get a copy of what you copied onto the flash drive? Is it feasible to mail you something, an SD card or memory card perhaps, to transfer the version? I understand if it is not possible but I just thought to ask.

Cheers and thanks,

Brownie

I realise you have resolved your issue, but I wanted to say, that if this problem occurs again something you could try is searching your hard drive for where ES saves a copy of all the files you have done - in the "Done" folder, and emptying that. ES has a way of self destructing by filling up its own caches and sometimes when you clear this and reload your file it will reload with the correct audio.

I realise you have resolved your issue, but I wanted to say, that if this problem occurs again something you could try is searching your hard drive for where ES saves a copy of all the files you have done - in the "Done" folder, and emptying that. ES has a way of self destructing by filling up its own caches and sometimes when you clear this and reload your file it will reload with the correct audio.

Hi Gutsy,

Haven't resolved the problem completely as yet but have several good options. I was able to download an old version 3.07 which successfully transfers the length of the recording ( which lets me know that I do have enough space in the done folders-thanks for that tip though)BUT this older version doesn't recognize the pedals and won't let me install the hidwatch.dll file that is needed to get the pedals to work. I drag and drop this dll into the scribe folder and even though it is in the scribe folder, the scribe doesn't recognize it. So yes, I now can have the whole recording to transcribe but can't use the pedals. If I could find a way for the HIDwatch to be recognized that would be great but what I have taken from all this hunting is that the old version just isn't compatible anymore with the vec usb pedals. I however am still open to suggestions. By the way, I did go to device manager to try to update the driver for "unknown" device(yellow question mark) and that wouldn't work either.

Cheers and thanks for trying. Anyone else have any suggestions???

• 4 weeks later...

First, if you were able to use an older version to load your file, you can uninstall the older version, and reinstall the newer one, and your file should migrate. In any case, as Gutsy said, it should still be there, as a wav file in either the Current or Done folders (probably Current). If it doesn't migrate, you can still load that file quickly (since ES doesn't have to uncompress it to wav which it's already done), into the new version, which will accept your foot pedal, and voila, you should be off and running.

It seems that if you had problems ripping the CD on an older computer but not a newer one, you may have problems with your CD reader/burner. You can get inexpensive cleaners--they look like a CD--that clean the lasers. Otherwise, you might try getting an external DVD burner, which reads and writes all the other formats and media.

I would ask why rip a .cda to mp3, rather than rip to .wav; when ES loads the file, it's going to uncompress it to a .wav file anyway.

If the foot pedal issue isn't resolved, try the hot keys; they work extremely well. I've been using them for a decade. KRN