Cross Fade 4.58 flawed - big problem for me

Aresby

Since 4.58 the Cross Fade video effect does something weird with the audio, so that if I delete a small portion of the video (that contains the unwanted word "erm" in it) when I cross fade the two clips (which I've done a zillion times in other versions) I now get an echo of that unwanted "erm" not just once but TWICE in the cross-faded clip - even though I have removed that section.

Previous versions did not seem to do anything with the audio on Cross Fade - it is, after all, a VIDEO effect and whilst you MAY want audio to be cross faded too this should be optional.

As it is I'm having huge problems editing my latest video - I may even have to revert to a previous version until this gets sorted.

Also it now prompts me whether to MOVE the clip or extend the video. What was the old way? I don't want the video to move on the track as I have text overlays at various points that are overlaid at precise points. I'm pretty sure its the 'extend' option that does this weird thing with the audio, just my luck.

Any ideas guys?

BTW Merry Xmas! I guess I should be watching TV rather than editing my video on Xmas Day. Sad, isn't it?

Take a look in TOOLS|OPTIONS under the EDITING tab for an "apply audio crossfade to video transition" box. UNcheck it. If the audio still fades, choose NO TRANSITION. Then reinstate the desired transition.

There are now two transition modes. The old mode will not alter the positioning of clips. If sufficient video is not available during the transition, freeze frames are generated to fill the gap as in past VP versions.

The new mode will move the clips slightly to create an overlap (no freeze). Set the default mode by clicking the chevron to the right of the Video Clip Transitioning box, where it reads "Ask Me."

Experiment a bit to get the drift of how each mode applies to the transition at hand.

Hi,

We knew that there are big changes in v4.58. Users familiar with the old version might found it difficult to work with. Therefore we provided options to go back to the same behaviours as the old version.

As the previous post already pointed out:

• If you don't want the clips being moved when creating transition, select "Freeze clips" in "Edit" option.
  • You can also disable automatic audio crossfade for transition in "Edit" option.

Best Regards,

Thanks SO MUCH for the replies guys, I shall immediately try the suggestions out.

Thank goodness you had already anticipated stuck-in-the-muds like me who just like it the way it was!!!