Mac Compatibility

ptreseler

I'm looking at converting from our old micro cassette system to a simple computer-assisted program, and it looks like this will really fit the bill. In reading previous forums, it looks like there were compatibility issues with OS X? Any comments out their from mac users? I assume we will have to purchase the application, dictation controller, foot pedal and headset, but not sure. I sill need to download the mac version, but wanted some advice before doing so?

Also, what is the technical support like? It appears all the instructions are Windows' based. I will probably have to buy technical support, but what' everyone's experience with email turnaround?

MAC User,

Dictate and Scribe are both fairly Mac friendly apps. The next version will be Universal. It will also save preferences per user (not one for all users). While I don't care for the "DCT" file format (can't read natively on Mac), it works as long as you use Dictate and Scribe. There are more friendly options (like WAV), but they don't use the XML tags and we would hate to loose them!

Technical support has been, well, interesting... We are in Connecticut; they are in Australia. We paid for phone support. I have called over a dozen times to tech support and NEVER received a human; always an answering machine. However, using the number provided and then choosing sales, I got a live person 50 percent of the time. At one point I reached Allison. She has been tremendously helpful. She follows up, she gets answers, but she doesn't answer the tech support line (at least not from my experience)! :)

Other than the tech support gripe, my only other issue with NCH is the cycle of development. It seems there are a lot of apps they create and they can't work on all of them all the time. So each app gets focused on and then updates stop for a period of time. NCH may have just 1 or 2 Mac developers (they are not Microsoft or Adobe). But they ARE making progress, and Dictate and Scribe are currently getting the spotlight.

Since it is a free download, I would encourage you to do some testing and compile a list of issues. Then submit them to NCH (if you need help, let me know!). The time to address issues is right now!!

Brian :)

Guest nchaj

Yes brian is correct, we have always only had phone support in our Australian office, however, we are rapidly expanding as a business and have recently opened a Denver Office which will have a phone number for Platinum support very soon, and we also have a number in the UK that went live last week for Platinum customers. Mac support can take a little more time for us to investigate, not many of us are Mac users :)

https://secure.nch.com.au/support/terms.html these are the support terms of service.

Report bugs within the software (Help, send bug report) and it goes straight to the developer, you may not get a response, but rest assured we do get your reports.

• 1 year later...

I am considering this purchase of the Mac version Express Dictate for a user. I need to know if the Mac version is compatible with the Olympus DS-5000 and has the 2 features of (1) automatically download the file from the recorder and (2) automatically emails it to a user based on configuration settings. I have the DSS Player Pro for PC and it is great! The CD says that it is compatible with Mac, so I installed the software for the Mac. It ended up just being the DS Player which is a dumbed down version of the DSS Player Pro without the email support and other functions. That is the reason for getting this NCH software. Does it allow those two functions of automatic download of files and automatic email?

Thanks

I need to know if the Mac version is compatible with the Olympus DS-5000 and has the 2 features of (1) automatically download the file from the recorder

According to Olympus' website, the DS-5000 records in DSS Pro / DS2 format, which Express Dictate does not support, on Windows or OS X.

and (2) automatically emails it to a user based on configuration settings.

Dictate has this feature.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response, I know the file format can be changed on the device to a different format on the DSS Player Pro side i.e. the dss format, but will the Express Dictate support that format? Meaning will it download it from the device and email it?

I know the file format can be changed on the device to a different format on the DSS Player Pro side i.e. the dss format, but will the Express Dictate support that format? Meaning will it download it from the device and email it?

Unfortunately, DSS format is not supported in the OS X version of Express Dictate.

• 4 months later...