videopad - keep an item centered

omid70

hello out there

i am making product video that is spinning on a turntable.  but as my products is turning, it is not centered, it is moving left to right as it is turning.

how can i keep this items centered all the time, as it is turning?

appreciate any help.  i have basic knowledge of videopad, so a detailed tutorial would be appreciated.

There may be a disconnect here.  Your latest sample shows the ring moving from right to left, so that's what you will get if it is keyed over a background in Videopad.  It's not static, and simply circling.

Were that the case, as in this low-res example, it would not move.

It's understood now that the original was shot off center, as if a phonograph record's hole were not in the middle.  You might want to re-shoot.^_^

Correcting that in VP can prove tedious, but not impossible, by plotting an animation.  The plot would look similar to this...

image.png

Click EFFECTS and choose the POSITION effect.  Be sure the scrubber (red line) is at the start.  In the preview window, drag the ring so it's centered in the circle.

Click the small green + sign.  Then move the line to where the ring has changed position slightly.  Re-center the ring.

Continue doing this in small increments along the timeline.  Each increment and centering will create a keyframe (dot).  Experiment to determine how many keyframes result in the smoothest presentation.  For specifics on animation see http://tinyurl.com/y6fql2a9

Hi

This is an interesting problem. As I couldn't use the clip supplied on the forum I download your UT example with the blue bars. Yes. The  ring  moves horizontally as it turns but see my comments below.

It is possible to stop the right left motion using Position effect and keyframes as suggested by Borate.  AS mentioned I did this using your original UT video having first placed a central reference line transparent  image on the overlay track (Of course the blues lines also moved as they were part of the video, but the ring itself, which was the important item could be made to remain in a central position on the red line......

aa.jpg

It didn't require many keyframes and only changes in the Horizontal settings. (But see below)

The image  correction however meant it was out of the frame on the left and right alternately leaving a black bar (seen above at the left side of the preview window). As a consequence of this everything was moved up a track and the ring clip was added again to Video Track 1 . As it had a uniform background it effectively hid the black bars as the upper image (now an overlay) moved right and left. (But this only worked in this particular  example....I did try a blank white clip but the ring image background was actually slightly grey so it was easier to use the image itself.........

bb.jpg

The last step was to remove the red line overlay image.....

dd.jpg

The resulting clip now showed the ring turning but remaining centered left/right in the frame..

BUT..... As it wasn't central on the turntable relative to the camera when the clip was shot, it not only moved right and left as it rotated it also moved  forwards and backwards and consequently changed size.:o  Furthermore, with the camera being above the plane of the ring when the clip was shot, it caused the image  move up and down in the frame!!!:(........... The Position effect would require more adjusting..

dd.jpgee.jpg

Correcting all these motions and size changes with keyframes threaten to become quite complex.....:huh::) (but probably possible    -_-.)

Best Solution......Shoot the clip again making certain that the camera is carefully lined up with the absolute center of the turntable and the ring is placed exactly on the axis of rotation of the turntable.

Nat

hi

thank you both for your help.  i guess that method works.  but makes my life more difficult.

i guess i have to be better at taking the videos and the positioning.

i also noticed that if you do this in the "scale" effect, and move around the offset x, you do not get black bars on the side of the video.  it preserves the natural background

Hi

"... i also noticed that if you do this in the "scale" effect, and move around the offset x, you do not get black bars on the side of the video.  it preserves the natural background ..."

Yes. Again that is logical, as if you scale up then the image becomes larger than the frame but it is not cropped....the image exists outside the frame and can therefore  be moved up/down and from side to side without coming inside and giving a border. Of course in the context of the ring video, the object is small enough to do this. Had the ring been already been almost as large as the frame then scaling up would not have worked.  VP is pretty versatile.

Nat