HOW TO STOP ADDING A CLIP IN BETWEEN 2 CUTTING ITS WAY IN

milla

ok say i have 2 clips on my time line and i have changed my mind and want to add a third inbtween them it will cut its way inbtween them instead of simply going after my first clip and my second clip being pushed over to be played 3rd it will cut parts of my first and second clip. why in the world is this a thing and how do i get around it. iv had a good search and anything that involves cutting in comes up with how to cut/crop clips witch isnt my issue.

also another situation. i have a bunch of images displayed in a different video track so it over laps onto my video but say i need to increase the duration of 1 so i drag the thing across and it does the same as the clips it wont move the other images along the timeline it will just CUT ITS WAY THOUGH WHAT EVER I HAVE THERE INSTEAD OF PUSHING THEM DOWN TO A LATER POINT.

WHY IN THE WORLD IS THIS A FEATURE AND HOW CAN I STOP IT

http://help.nchsoftware.com/help/en/videopad/win/editing_addingclips.html

Position the scrubber (red line) at the insertion point.  Use the ||<  and >||  buttons under the preview window to locate the precise clip edge.                                                           Right-click the clip to be inserted and PLACE ON SEQUENCE AT CURSOR.  Adjacent clips should be unaffected.

One way to change the duration of a clip is by double-clicking it on the sequence, then specifying a new time in the box under the preview window thumbnails.

Hi

"... ok say i have 2 clips on my time line and i have changed my mind and want to add a third in btween them ....."i

Borate's solution is the way to INSERT a clip at any point. (including between clips)

If you are working on a single Video track (Video Track 1) then here is another way to obtain what you want......

1. Grab the right hand clip and drag it up and drop it on Video track 2
  2. Grab your new clip in the bin and drop it onto Video Track 1  so it follows the first clip
  3. Grab the clip on Video Track 2 and pull it down to Video Track 1 so it follows the inserted clip.

Here's another......

1. Grab the clip to be inserted and drag it down to the track containing the two clips. Move it left and right and when it is between the two clips you will see a vertical line with arrows appear when it is exactly between the clips.
  2. Release the clip when these are visible.It will be inserted between the clips at the joint

Nat

yeah thats what im doing to add the clips but when i add 1 and somthing is already behind it will cut off the start of the clip after it if it needs too 

say clip 1 lasts 10 seconds and clip 2 lasts 20 and the clip i want to put in after the first clip lasts 15 seconds. my first clip will play as normal and the new clip will play as normal but the clip that was second has its first 15 seconds replaced with the new clip and only plays its last 5 seconds. why cant i just add the clip and it be moved over where required? THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING 

Followed your clip timings to the letter, and the newly inserted second clip did not cut off the beginning of the original 2nd clip (now third), when inserted via the procedure outlined earlier.

Use the latest release version.   https://www.nchsoftware.com/download/videopadlaunch.exe

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.

A workaround might be to drag the second clip to the right, holding down <alt>, which will leave a gap.  Make the gap wider than the clip that you want to insert.

Drop the new clip into the hole.  The right-click in the each gap and CLOSE GAP.

But this should not be necessary.  What you describe isn't normal. 

i know it probably shouldnt do that but it does and im putting the clip in there using what uv showed me
i cant drag the 2nd clip  back to put my clip inbetween them because it will overwright the stuff i have there too witch is sort of the same issue .

is there some kind of setting that i need to uncheck to stop this?

Hi

OK...

Try this...

Switch into Storyboard mode. Your clips will now appear as slides.

1. Grab the one one you want to insert in the clip bin
  2. Drag it to the timeline and move it to a point between the slides where you want to insert it.
  3. Move it left/right until a green vertical arrow appears at the join
  4. Release your new clip

It will insert itself between the two slides.

If VP is behaving normally it should not overwrite any of the neighboring clips when inserted.

"... cant drag the 2nd clip  back to put my clip inbetween them because it will overwright the stuff i have there ..."

This seems to be the case. even in VP 7.21 In fact doing this can leave bits of the "overwritten clips behind on the timeline. Also reversing the movement of the moved clip does not restore the timeline either.

I have reported this as a ?bug and await a reply.

Nat

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2019 at 8:02 PM, milla said:

yeah thats what im doing to add the clips but when i add 1 and somthing is already behind it will cut off the start of the clip after it if it needs too 

say clip 1 lasts 10 seconds and clip 2 lasts 20 and the clip i want to put in after the first clip lasts 15 seconds. my first clip will play as normal and the new clip will play as normal but the clip that was second has its first 15 seconds replaced with the new clip and only plays its last 5 seconds. why cant i just add the clip and it be moved over where required? THIS IS VERY FRUSTRATING 

I agree this software is very frustrating for novices like me.  Seems hard to find answers in the user manual as well. 

The issue above doesn't happen here. 

Two clips are on the sequence.  The scrubber (red line) is positioned at the juncture between them, using the ||>  and <|| icons.  A third clip in the bin is right-clicked and instructed to PLACE ON SEQUENCE AT CURSOR.  It drops in between the two original clips without affecting their length.

For best help here, describe your issue in detail.  Mention the version being used and your PC's specs.

Hi Non Techie wnh

That doesn't happen here either. (version 7.25)  A  10 sec + 20 sec clip  with an added 15 sec clip to the join between them gives a total clip of 45 seconds here. It's the same result using drag and drop or Borate's method of adding the clip to the red cursor line positioned at the join.

However.....

If you are using drag and drop, are you adjusting the 15 second clip to a position where the white arrows appear at the join? 

This is NOT the left edge of the visible thumbnail. It is the centre of the visible thumbnail. If you don't do that the inserted clip overwrites the timeline clip.

Intuitively it should be the left hand edge of the thumbnail but NCH have decided that the centre of the thumbnail is where the  start of the clip is...

For example.  Here is where it seems logical to drop the clip to be inserted...left edge of the dragged thumbnail lined up on the join....

aaa.jpg

At this logical position no white line with arrows appears. Unfortunately if dropped here the incoming clip  overwrites the underlying clip and timeline ends up at 25 secs in length instead of 45 seconds....

ee.jpg

However, if the clip is adjusted so it straddles the join, the white arrows on a white line appear at the join ......

bbb (2).jpg

When released the new clip is inserted correctly....

ddd.jpg

The timeline is now 45 seconds in length.  (10+15+20)

I don't think this is a bug as such, it's a UN-intuative feature of the software. Something to be aware of when inserting clips. If you are going to insert away from a join use the red cursor line to mark the spot and use Place on sequence at the cursor  from the clip bin menu as outlined in Borate's post. (Although if you are still going to drag and drop to the cursor line note the advice given in this post.)

Nat