pre-sales question

gerhard59

Hi,

I am thinking of using DD (DialDictate) for a new to build dictation system.

Before I purchase a license I have a number of questions about DD.

1. Which databases are supported by DD?

2. How do I connect DD to use the supported databases?

3. Can I use the database to service more than one DD Server for logins?

4. How do I setup SIP for concurrent calls?

5. How many concurrent calls can DD handle in old telephony (POTS or ISDN)?

6. How many concurrent calls can DD handle with SIP calls?

7. How is the technical support, speed and quality?

8. How is the pre-sales support?

Kind regards,

Gerhard

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

Am I in the twilight zone, I think I am here on this forum all alone.

In the past 7 days I have not seen nor heard anyone. (159 views :( )

Does anyone know a similar programme for dictation by phone.

If NCH does not want to help with pre-sales questions I must look for a substitute.

Can I contact NCH directly and send them my questions, if yes what's the address.

TIA,

Gerhard

Hi,

I am thinking of using DD (DialDictate) for a new to build dictation system.

Before I purchase a license I have a number of questions about DD.

1. Which databases are supported by DD?

2. How do I connect DD to use the supported databases?

3. Can I use the database to service more than one DD Server for logins?

4. How do I setup SIP for concurrent calls?

5. How many concurrent calls can DD handle in old telephony (POTS or ISDN)?

6. How many concurrent calls can DD handle with SIP calls?

7. How is the technical support, speed and quality?

8. How is the pre-sales support?

Kind regards,

Gerhard

1. Zero

2. You can't.

3. Nope.

4. I haven't tried this.

5. I think as many as you can get on one card. I had 16 going at one time.

6. N/A

7. The worst - had a problem in November, and actual bug in their system that they admitted they were "working" on - Still haven't heard back from them - I have since abandonned their system. (I had paid for support as well)

8. Non-existent - if you call them on the phone, they seem bothered by you.

All and all - my advice is to stay away - I *had* about 13 months experience using the system, nothing but bugs - sound quality is bad and the lack of support was the nail in the coffin for me.

CJessee may be right on all questions.

However, I hope I may be of assistance.

I have been using Dial Dictate for some time now and have a server running with FTP setup on my other server. My clients use the system and claim the quality is better than their older system (Internet Speed is most likely a factor with SIP lines).

I plan on building a new dictation server soon to handle more calls at once with a site license.

1.In DialDictate (at least the newer versions) there is an option for database details. I am not certain if this is an option that never was valid to work, but I know NCH is thinking of the option.

2. I tried different techniques and failed before; but I plan to try again and get back to you on this question.

4. I use Vonage SIP. Each virtual line is allowed up to two concurrent calls; however, depending on the phone service provider, you should be able to request "rollover lines".

5. I was informed by NCH the program is capable of up to 32 old-fashioned telephony lines.

6. Good question... I am assuming the same limitation as old-fashioned telephony lines since the limitation seems to be software based; however, I am not certain...

... by the way, I would also worry about the speed of your Internet Service Provider for handling a number of SIP lines. This is a concern of mine since I am looking into the possibility of purchasing the site license. I don't want to pay for a site license if I start loosing quality of recording after a few calls at once.

Also, I have found SIP lines to be a money saver. There is no need for expensive telephony cards and VOIP service is dirt cheap compared to standard telephone companies. For instance, I am paying $14.95 per month for the first line with unlimited incoming minutes (I dont need outgoing for the DD program). After the initial VOIP line, I purchased 2 virtual lines. These virtual lines accept 2 concurrent calls each (4 total at once) and only cost an additional $4.95 per month each. compare that two standard telephone service @ $20 or more for each line!

This is actually a question of mine...

What provider/speed internet would anyone recommend for supporting let's say ... 32 Concurrent SIP lines?

Thanks,

Aaron

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

I was kind of expecting :( these answers on pre-sales support.

If you look at the individual bandwidth needed for SIP. It uses approx 12kb.

32 lines timex 12kb = 384kb bandwidth

If you have a link 10mb or higher 32 lines should not cause a problem.

The server may be the bottleneck serving 32 calls.

I am working on a system which in peak times must handle something like 1000 concurrent calls.

Maybe the next part is the wake-up call for the company.

I will start my system with dialdictate but I will start with a "illegal" version.

As soon as NCH takes me serious and answer my(our) questions I might upgrade to a legal version.

King regards,

Gerhard