Where did my sound go?

TClayton12

I was transcribing in Express Scribe, doing great, then all of a sudden my volume disappeared. My sound card is fine. I've checked it, as well as all volume settings. It is strictly this program. I can see that my file is playing, however no volume. I can go to another file and, again, no volume. What is up? Jus to let you know, this is a large file. I've noticed on other topics that there is conversation about the size of a file. But why would my other .wav files stop? It's honestly like I hit a key or something and the volume has stopped. I'd appreciate any information to help me. This is making me crazy!

I was transcribing in Express Scribe, doing great, then all of a sudden my volume disappeared. My sound card is fine. I've checked it, as well as all volume settings. It is strictly this program. I can see that my file is playing, however no volume. I can go to another file and, again, no volume. What is up? Jus to let you know, this is a large file. I've noticed on other topics that there is conversation about the size of a file. But why would my other .wav files stop? It's honestly like I hit a key or something and the volume has stopped. I'd appreciate any information to help me. This is making me crazy!

Check your Windows Volume control to see that it is not "muted". There is a hot-key combination I push in Express Scribe, not sure which one it is, that mutes the Windows volume control. It is usually in your Task Tray.

• 11 years later...

This has happened to me twice now.  (11 years since the original post).  I am in a file and then the audio stops playing all of a sudden, but the file continues to play.  The volume is up in Windows and Express Scribe.  If I switch to another file, the audio plays fine.