current status of Express Scribe and Olympus files

Gerald

I still run experiments on it since I report back to hundreds of court reporters who might potentially use this product.

For the better part of a year Express Scribe cannot play digital files recorded on Olympus Recorders unless they are short.

No matter what tech support says, and they have lied through their teeth repeatedly, it does not work.

Despite claims of it's fixed, we are feverishly working on fixing it, more than half a year has passed and Express Scribe still fails.

There are no work-arounds that I know of.

Do not buy Switch. Converting Olympus files to wav still won't work on Express Scribe. And besides, Windows Media Player can convert your files for free anyway.

If you have a dss file and you want a reliable player I like Gear Player. Perhaps there are other players out there that work but I know Gear Player works with Olympus.

When Express Scribe is fixed, I'll be happy to recommend it again.

Your solution was my solution, too. :D

I was a happy Express Scribe user for years and I enjoyed it. My guess is NCH outsourced their programming "overseas" to a bunch of cheap but incompetent programmers.

Too bad really. Some of the versions of Express Scribe that have been slopped out the door have been so buggy you can tell it was never tested once by anyone who knew what they were doing.

• 2 weeks later...
I still run experiments on it since I report back to hundreds of court reporters who might potentially use this product.

For the better part of a year Express Scribe cannot play digital files recorded on Olympus Recorders unless they are short.

No matter what tech support says, and they have lied through their teeth repeatedly, it does not work.

Despite claims of it's fixed, we are feverishly working on fixing it, more than half a year has passed and Express Scribe still fails.

There are no work-arounds that I know of.

Do not buy Switch. Converting Olympus files to wav still won't work on Express Scribe. And besides, Windows Media Player can convert your files for free anyway.

If you have a dss file and you want a reliable player I like Gear Player. Perhaps there are other players out there that work but I know Gear Player works with Olympus.

When Express Scribe is fixed, I'll be happy to recommend it again.

I posted a question here concerning an audio problem I was having with a lengthy file....at this point I have not recieved any comment.....in reading your comment here, you might can answer my question...I am a court reporter and it is my first experience with a problem like this....and I really would like to find a solution to the problem.

Marcia Mitchell

Louisiana

P.S. I have paid for techincal support but all they have told me is that there is no limit to space for an audio file on Express Scribe and that I need to download the newest version of Express Scribe.

• 4 weeks later...
I posted a question here concerning an audio problem I was having with a lengthy file....at this point I have not recieved any comment.....in reading your comment here, you might can answer my question...I am a court reporter and it is my first experience with a problem like this....and I really would like to find a solution to the problem.

Marcia Mitchell

Louisiana

P.S. I have paid for techincal support but all they have told me is that there is no limit to space for an audio file on Express Scribe and that I need to download the newest version of Express Scribe.

Marcia,

I read this forum infrequently so I just saw this message.

All I know is recorded files made with the popular Olympus recorders do not play in Express Scribe if they are long files. Claims by tech support of trying an older or newer version of the software to get these Olympus files to work are, quite simply, lies. They are unable to fix the problem. The problem has existed to my knowledge for almost a year now. I would recommend using the transcription software Gear Player as it works with no problems. Yes, it will cost you money. I have spent hours and hours trying to get Express Scribe to work, read the misleading posts by tech support who engaged in a cover-up of this problem and tried all their solutions, none of which worked.

I just recently had a problem with an audio file as well. It was recorded using an Olympus digital recorder. The file was long, and the last hour or so was lost during playback. The file would start over at the beginning. My OS is Vista.

Also, I had a problem resetting the hotkeys. They didnt work.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Marcia,

I read this forum infrequently so I just saw this message.

All I know is recorded files made with the popular Olympus recorders do not play in Express Scribe if they are long files. Claims by tech support of trying an older or newer version of the software to get these Olympus files to work are, quite simply, lies. They are unable to fix the problem. The problem has existed to my knowledge for almost a year now. I would recommend using the transcription software Gear Player as it works with no problems. Yes, it will cost you money. I have spent hours and hours trying to get Express Scribe to work, read the misleading posts by tech support who engaged in a cover-up of this problem and tried all their solutions, none of which worked.