HELP!!! Playback going back to beginning!!

Bonniej

I hope someone can help me. I was transcribing a court hearing, and all of a sudden when I lift my foot off the foot pedal, the recording goes back to the beginning. The hour/minute count remains the same, but I'm listening to the very beginning of the trial. This is not good. It started doing this at about 3:24:32

Thanks for your help!

I hope someone can help me. I was transcribing a court hearing, and all of a sudden when I lift my foot off the foot pedal, the recording goes back to the beginning. The hour/minute count remains the same, but I'm listening to the very beginning of the trial. This is not good. It started doing this at about 3:24:32

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

I have encountered this too - only on long files and round about the same time as you describe. I could find no solution except rewinding far enough to get back to where it plays properly and try not to stop (very hard!) until you have passed the part where it decides to go back to the beginning. The only other option (which of course may not be one with courtroom tapes) is to ask your client to split the audio for you.

Good luck!

Hi,

I have encountered this too - only on long files and round about the same time as you describe. I could find no solution except rewinding far enough to get back to where it plays properly and try not to stop (very hard!) until you have passed the part where it decides to go back to the beginning. The only other option (which of course may not be one with courtroom tapes) is to ask your client to split the audio for you.

Good luck!

Thanks! I tried really hard to do that, but it's easier said than done. What I ended up doing, since, as always, I'm in a time crunch, was letting it play and recording it from my speakers. Wasn't the best sound quality, but it worked. But at least now I know that when I'm recording, I need to separate it into different tracks. Once again, thanks for your help.

Okay, I've been trying to replicate this issue but am having difficulties. Can you please go through exactly what you did and what happened? What foot pedal settings do you have enabled (suck as quick tap locks play)?

Okay, I've been trying to replicate this issue but am having difficulties. Can you please go through exactly what you did and what happened? What foot pedal settings do you have enabled (suck as quick tap locks play)?

Hi nchto,

I use hot keys and a couple of times when you get to maybe about three-and-a-half hours of, say, a seven-hour mp3 file pressing F7 suddenly takes you to the beginning of the recording. It does not actually go back - just plays the audio which is at the beginning. As I said to Bonnie, the only way to work through it is to keep going - not a great trick for a transcriptionist in a hurry! It sometimes resolves later in the recording. Apart from the hassle, many clients want a time marking for any [inaudible] and giving them e.g. 3hrs 25 will not help if it is actually playing minute one!

Hope you can solve this problem. Thanks for your support!

Regards,

Alibal.

PS: I have version 4.15c

I really think the only way to replicate this is just to have a really gigantic file -- this happened to me, only when I had a gigantic file, no matter what the settings were (believe me, I changed everything)

Client was able to split the file, but was not happy about it. Next time I will know when I get a huge file to ask for it to be split -- anything over 2.5 hours or so is risky.

I think it also may depend if it's a .wav or .mp3, but I'm not sure -

Hi, nchto,

I've had this problem going back quite a while. Presently it's happening on a .WMA file created by an Olympus DS-2200.

Windows Explorer says the file size is 166,297,326 bytes, it's 342:58 in length and has a bit rate of 64kbps.

The one thing in common going back all the versions I've had installed is the time marker when the problem happens: 3:22:54.

As soon as I hit that time, then stopping will cause the file to go back to the beginning, even though the slider on the bottom remains where it was, and the time counter still says 3:22 and keeps right on counting up.

I have to split these files using Audacity, which so far, doesn't support foot pedals.

We have this problem too. Looking at the temp file in the user's application data it appears that Express Scribe is hiccupping at around the 2gb mark. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the windows file size limit?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Good luck!

How long does it take to get past "the spot"? I have listened for a long time, it seems, and it still goes back. This is so frustrating!! Please help!!!

I really think the only way to replicate this is just to have a really gigantic file -- this happened to me, only when I had a gigantic file, no matter what the settings were (believe me, I changed everything)

Client was able to split the file, but was not happy about it. Next time I will know when I get a huge file to ask for it to be split -- anything over 2.5 hours or so is risky.

I think it also may depend if it's a .wav or .mp3, but I'm not sure -

Is there any way for me to split the file myself?

Thanks!!

How long does it take to get past "the spot"? I have listened for a long time, it seems, and it still goes back. This is so frustrating!! Please help!!!

Is there any way for me to split the file myself?

Thanks!!

Has anyone resolved this problem! I am typing a 7 hour deposition and having the exact same problem. I got around 4 1/2 hours and it is doing exactly the same thing.

Is there a way to split the file myself????

Is there a way to split the file myself????

Hi, Tbarnzee,

I'm new to this forum, so I replied to your message and I'm not sure if it was sent. If you got my message saying how to split and work on the files, would you add it as a reply to this message? I also forgot to copy the text before sending. D'oh!

As pbolger suggested, Express Scribe decompresses the audio before it can be transcribed. Extremely long recordings produce massive temporary files, which are at the extremes of what Windows itself can support. This is the likely cause of most issues experienced here.

If you convert the audio to mp3 you're able to use Slice to split the audio into smaller files for easier transcribing.