So, how good is Axon?

gregbull

Hi All,

So, how good is Axon?

For a free product, this is a question I have to pose, as I am looking to use it in a real production environment, and although we are small, maybe 6 extensions, we rely heavily on the reliability of our phones.

Is anybody using it (V1.2) in a production environment day to day?

How does the queuing work, is it reliable?

Any tricks for new players?

Recommended hardware to use with it, ie FXO's, handsets, server, etc?

Oe more thing, is there a monitoring program that can be used to say monitor how many calls in a queue at any particular time? A shift supervisor may use this to gauge current level of calls.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

In my opinion, Axon is a high quality product. The price ($0) is also an added bonus. However, Axon is simply the base call management system, for everything else (e.g. Music on Hold, Call Recording, Auto Attendant, Voice Mail, Call Conferencing etc.) you are required to purchase additional modules/programs (such as VRS, IMS, IVM, Quorum).

Groups/Queues work well, there are several options allowing you to play custom messages, music, set delay times for different extensions (e.g. ring phone 1 for 5 seconds, if not answered, keep ringing Phone 1 and also ring Phone 2) etc.

I am using version 1.2 (and also helped test it) as my main PBX system (8~10 extensions). It is quite stable and has some new and very useful features.

I will note however that occasionally if there is a problem with my internet connection or if a network cable is unexpectedly unplugged, Axon sometimes pops up an abnormal exception error. I usually just restart the application after that and everything seems fine. I don't know whether the program is able to accept calls during that time though.

The only other thing I might be concerned about for stability is if you intend on using VoIP phone lines, which in case you are not aware become completely useless in power failures and internet connection downtimes. In that respect, they are slightly more risky than traditional land-lines.

I personally use the Linksys Sipura 3000 (now 3102) FXO adapter to connect my analogue phone line and it works well. I had a few issues getting caller ID passed on to Axon, but have now solved this problem.

In terms of phones, the best ATA adapter I've used is also my Sipura 3000 (It works as both an FXO and FXS adapter). However I also have an Zxyel VoIP router that hasn't caused much trouble.

For phones, I recommend the Yealink [http://yealink.com] brand SIP and USB phones (NCH/Altoedge also sells their USB phone [http://www.nch.com.au/hardware/usbphones.html]), however there is no problem with using regular analogue phones with an ATA adapter.

Recommended headsets: http://www.nch.com.au/hardware/headsets.html

For the server computer, I recommend:

- Windows XP (I wouldn't choose to use Vista, but that is up to you)

- Processor: 2.5 GHZ Pentium 4 or equivalent

- Memory: At least 512mb (I recommend 1 GB)

- 100mbit or 1gbit Ethernet connection to switch/router

In terms of realtime monitoring of calls in Queue, no such program exists (so far), however I imagine it would be possible to create a program that did so by reading Axon's logs.

• 3 months later...

I thought we needed the telephony cards to use the regular phone lines, I have two lines I want to hook up to the axom system, do I need two of the Sipura 3000 adapters? I am just adding the call system to our network and purchasing the hardware, was I wrong in getting the USB TELCTAUSB2. I plan on using the software on a server computer and two analog phone lines attached to the system.

Thanks

Ryan

You will need an FXO adapter to interface analogue lines with Axon (IVM does not need such an adapter). However, some Telephony boards are compatible with NCH's Carousel software which acts as an FXO adapter and converts analogue lines connected to certain compatible Telephony boards to digital VoIP lines for use in Axon. The Sipura 3000/3102 adapters do the same thing, but they are an all in one device (i.e. they contain all the hardware and software/firmware to convert an analogue line to a digital VoIP line for Axon to use all in one small device.

I find Axon to be very good

I am using

1 PSTN line - mainly for incoming calls (out going far cheaper on VOIP!) - on a Sipura 3102 - also where I live (Alderney, Channel Islands) number porting is not allowed - so needed to keep main company number

6 VOIP external lines - various companies - depending on which gives best call rates -

I use voipfone as my main outgoing lines, but also have sipgate (best for UK mobiles), aql, entacall, freshtel, and also Skype uplink

Extentions

Internal -

3 using Grandstream 2000

3 using Grandstream BudgeTone 200

1 using ATL 250

2 using Express Talk softphone

1 using Sipura 3102 (shared with the PSTN line)

External

also have colleagues working out of the office

all using Grandstream BudeTone 200

1 in Alderney, 1 in London, 1 in Australia

also using IVM answering attendant which answers the calls when there is no reply (my staff get 15 seconds to answer BEFORE the answing attendant) and then get the option to keep holding (press 1), leave a message (press 0), or transfer to a mobile (press 7) which works very well.

Regards

Paul

Island Computers

Alderney

Channel Islands

PS I have tried various FXO adapter cards and gateways and find the Sipura the only one I can get to work properly