No Sound alternates with Garbled Sound

ljhaze

Hello, I hope someone will be able to help me. I had Debut on my old laptop (5+ years old laptop with Windows 10) and it worked perfectly, never an issue. I just bought a brand new laptop with Windows 11 and am having trouble. When recording a video, the playback does a few different things: 1. There's no sound at all, or 2. There's no sound for about 10 seconds, then it makes a beeping sound (similar to the sound it makes when it starts recording, but not quite) and then begins playing the audio but it's garbled and/or choppy, or 3. Sometimes both, weirdly. For example: I've moved forward in the video to check the audio to see if it's garbled/choppy all the way through, then I can move back to the beginning of the video and there might be no sound at all now, when a moment earlier the same section had garbled audio. Sometimes the video doesn't match with the garbled audio (off by a few seconds or choppy visually), although that's also random and not always the case. Other times the video is smooth and perfect, but there's just no audio at all, as though it's muted.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to which happens when, garbled sound or no sound at all seem random, even on the same video replay. The only thing that has been consistent is that I have not yet had proper audio replay on the new laptop, not even a single time. With Debut that is, everything else is fine.

I tried searching this forum and tried suggestions found here for similar problems. Here are some things I've already tried that have not worked, although I will be happy to try any of these again if someone suggests it, in case I made a mistake. 

1. I went to Options>Audio and unchecked 'microphone' (I think I want that unchecked anyway, right? I do not want to record my voice or my room, only online video audio from the same laptop).

2. I went to Options>Video and changed the FPS (Frames per Second) to various things, both higher and lower. I left it at 24. I don't recall if that was default or not, I may have read somewhere that it's ideal. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

3. I changed Video to 'H264 (native) and audio to 'mp3' I THINK. I can't find the setting for that now, I tried it one night when I was tired, so I'm not sure if I did it correctly and haven't been able to find it again. 

4. I changed the Speakers from 'MMDevice' to 'Filter Driver'. It's now back to MMDevice.

5. I've tried both live streams and random Youtube video, but that doesn't seem to be a factor.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. If you'd be so kind, please give me a rough idea how to navigate to any settings I should change, I am not very savvy with this software and its interface. Thanks so much!

Hi,

You can try to reinstall the software and check the result. First of all, save all your files inside the program (Click View > Recordings > Select the recordings you want to save > Right-click > Save As > Continue with the process).

Uninstall Debut, then delete 3 folders named "Debut" and 1 named "Components" from these locations:
**C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Debut\
**C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\Debut\
**C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\Components
**C:\ProgramData\NCH Software\Debut\
**If you can't find any of the folders, just continue.

If you can't find the AppData folder, set Windows to show hidden files and folders with the steps from this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14201/windows-show-hidden-files.

Download the software version covered by your license, and enter your registration code.