SoundTap completely failing to recognize stream after upgrade.

antinomy

Greetings, I hope someone has a solution

I upgraded SoundTap to v8.05 and since then it has not recognized audio streams.  I have tried all the workarounds I could find in this forum - use bluetooth, change recovery settings, start SoundTap before opening browser, reboot the whole system, reinstall SoundTap - and all permutations of these options.  Has anyone found a way to make this software work?  It seems to be simply dysfunctional, not fit for sale.  

thanks in advance for any advice!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 9:10 AM, antinomy said:

Hi, thank you !  The OS is Windows 11.  And the previous version of SoundTap was 6.09

Best regards 

May not be related, but I have Win 11 and ran into similar problem.  Found fix in another thread.  I used "demo" of other NCH audio utilities and decided to purchase them all, including SoundTap 8.05 (which I hadn't previously used).  Unlike the other installations, SoundTap required reboot.  Upon reboot, ALL of the NCHs applications stopped seeing my audio output as a source.  I couldn't get any of them to work.  I tried suggested reinstallations to no avail.  Eventually, I followed one post's advice and actually uninstalled SoundTap (which also requires reboot).  I then used "install as Administrator" when I subsequently reinstalled SoundTap.  After reboot, SoundTap then recognized what I was hearing audio stream for recording source as did all the other NCH applications.

On 1/14/2024 at 4:56 PM, OmniSwift said:

I then used "install as Administrator" when I subsequently reinstalled SoundTap.

Hi, can you tell me how to do that? When I uninstalled and reinstalled, I didn't get an option to "install as Administrator", it just installed without any options.

I am not able to record sound in either Debut (for video) or Soundtap. I just got a new PC with Win 11. Before that, both worked flawlessly on Win 10 on my old laptop. I'm going bananas trying to figure out how to fix this.

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same issue ljhaze, I didn't have an option to install as administrator, it just told me that I have do it but I don't know how. Anyway seems it doesn't work either way. Did you find a solution yet? Support didn't respond back to me since I didn't buy their "Golden Ticket" support contract. LOL

7 minutes ago, Frank C. NH said:

I have the exact same issue ljhaze, I didn't have an option to install as administrator, it just told me that I have do it but I don't know how. Anyway seems it doesn't work either way. Did you find a solution yet? Support didn't respond back to me since I didn't buy their "Golden Ticket" support contract. LOL

Hi Frank, are you in New Hampshire? Just curious, because I'm also in NH. Anyway, I have not found a solution, which is maddening, so I'm unable to use Soundtap and my old laptop no longer works, so I can't even use it on that. So basically, I bought Soundtap and only used it a few times and am out that money. Tech support did reply to me, and we had several exchanges but mostly about Debut (for recording video) which also wasn't working. I finally gave up on the communication with tech support because I kept getting handed over to someone new who would start over with me and not pick up where I left off with the last person. I eventually figured out a workaround for Debut, but I never did get Soundtap to work. Tech support did say that there's some sort of "known audio issue" with some PC's with Soundtap but offered no solution (or condolences).

I also have Wavepad which was fine on Win 10 and had trouble with Win 11, although I managed to find a workaround for that too. It's really unfortunate because I was planning to purchase several more software programs but now I won't because I'm afraid they too will have issues.

Yes, in NH! Good ole "Manchvegas". LOL!😆. Sorry to hear it doesn't work but fortunately I just bought it today so I am going to cancel right away. These guys have turned into crooks! They never gave or asked about system requirements before purchasing so I assumed (stupid me) it was compatible with Windows 11. When I first contacted them, they wanted to know if I purchased the "30 day money back guarantee"! Really?!

I have used this for years without issue and all of a sudden, it stops working when they do an update. I'm done with this Company . Good Luck!

5 minutes ago, Frank C. NH said:

Yes, in NH! Good ole "Manchvegas". LOL!😆. Sorry to hear it doesn't work but fortunately I just bought it today so I am going to cancel right away. These guys have turned into crooks! They never gave or asked about system requirements before purchasing so I assumed (stupid me) it was compatible with Windows 11. When I first contacted them, they wanted to know if I purchased the "30 day money back guarantee"! Really?!

I have used this for years without issue and all of a sudden, it stops working when they do an update. I'm done with this Company . Good Luck!

Lakes Region here. 😄 Lucky that you're getting a refund at least. FYI, right on the purchase page it says:

• Works on Windows 11, 7, 8, 8.1 & 10

So it DOES say it's compatible with Win 11 (and that's even their own bold font, ironically, LOL). Take care neighbor! If you end up finding other software you like for recording live streaming audio, let me know!

I found this article interesting. I tried it but to no avail. It might work for you since the issue is only with "certain" PCs.

It can't hurt to try and only takes a minute. On Win 11, right click the speaker icon on the bottom right of taskbar then follow directions from there.

Good Luck and let me know please. Double click the link

How to Enable "Stereo Mix" in Windows and Record Audio from Your PC (howtogeek.com)

8 minutes ago, Frank C. NH said:

I found this article interesting. I tried it but to no avail. It might work for you since the issue is only with "certain" PCs.

It can't hurt to try and only takes a minute. On Win 11, right click the speaker icon on the bottom right of taskbar then follow directions from there.

Good Luck and let me know please. Double click the link

How to Enable "Stereo Mix" in Windows and Record Audio from Your PC (howtogeek.com)

Thank you; I did try this, from another article that led me to the same setting. No luck. I ended up changing SOMETHING in my audio settings that ended up fixing the Debut (video software) issue, but it didn't help Soundtap. Unfortunately I can't remember now what I changed. Also, with their WavePad recording software, which I also have, it only works if I plug in my USB webcam and it will use that mic. Otherwise it will not record with the built-in mic. So the three programs can't seem to get on the same page with audio settings and at this point I'm apprehensive to change much because I'm afraid to mess up the video recording, which is most important to me. I'm convinced that there's no reason all three programs shouldn't work, I just can't figure it out.

OK ljhaze, I just contacted NCH again and here is what they had to say.

Soundtap Streaming Audio app is unable to work with the "Realtek" internal sound card, even if the specifications say it is not protected. If you purchased this within the last 30 days, we suggest you start a refund process here.

So, there we have it! Why didn't they tell us this before we purchased the app, what the capabilities or the incompatibilities are? Didn't they ever hear of telling people the "System Requirements" beforehand?

I hear you on that (not changing anything,) but at least we know now!

Hey Frank,

Figures. Well, thanks for the update. They didn't specify that it was a Realtek issue when I emailed them. And of course my brand spanking new laptop has that. I really don't understand why they wouldn't mention this on the purchase page if it's a known compatibility issue. I wonder if their other programs have the same issue, I had originally planned to buy several more, but I'm not going to throw away my money again, that's for sure. 

Thanks for taking the time to update us, I for one really appreciate it!