Drag & drop files not sorted

cbreemer

Hi all, 
When I drag and drop a selection files onto Wavepad, all files are opened in tabs but the tabs appear to be unsorted, or else sorted in a non-intuitive way, making it cumbersome to move between files. It seems like common sense that the program would take the trouble to alphabetically sort the tabs, right ? Anyone else having an issue with this ? Should I report a bug or improvement suggestion ?

Cheers,

Chris

I try to keep myself from replying hereabouts for various reasons - usually because I assume the issues folks are experiencing are with a later version of the software than I utilize. But I do read through most posts in case there is something either that I can learn, or someway in my experience with the software I can help another user. 

So, my first question would be as to how the files that your are dragging as a group are labeled in the first place. Common sense for me (in my workflow) is dependent on a numerical ordering, as opposed to a (random) alphabetical one. YMMV.

6 hours ago, vapors said:

I try to keep myself from replying hereabouts for various reasons - usually because I assume the issues folks are experiencing are with a later version of the software than I utilize. But I do read through most posts in case there is something either that I can learn, or someway in my experience with the software I can help another user. 

So, my first question would be as to how the files that your are dragging as a group are labeled in the first place. Common sense for me (in my workflow) is dependent on a numerical ordering, as opposed to a (random) alphabetical one. YMMV.

Thanks for your reaction. Please see this screenshot http://home.caiway.nl/~cbreemer/wavepad.jpg

3 hours ago, vapors said:

Gotcha. That does seem odd and annoying!

It sure threw me the first time I dropped and dozen or so files, and was having a ball navigating between them. To make it worse, you cannot drag the tabs around like you can in a browser. Support did not seem to acknowledge the simple wish to sort the files like other programs do. Oh well, it's not a big deal and I'm now used to using File->Open which works correctly.

Yep. Although it is difficult to appreciate the faults of a software, especially one that really serves our purpose, figuring out the workarounds to serve our goal is what we must do. Sorry if I came across wrong-headed in my reply. I suppose dragging each file independently, although not ideal or expedient (but honestly how I operate often) and in order would accomplish the task properly.?

1 hour ago, vapors said:

Yep. Although it is difficult to appreciate the faults of a software, especially one that really serves our purpose, figuring out the workarounds to serve our goal is what we must do. Sorry if I came across wrong-headed in my reply. I suppose dragging each file independently, although not ideal or expedient (but honestly how I operate often) and in order would accomplish the task properly.?

Yes that could be an option. Though just using File->Open works fine and I can live with that. I suppose we can blame Windows for this. Given that WavePad displays the files in the order they come in as support stated, which is a valid choice if maybe not the best, I think it's Windows that shuffles them around in a drag and drop operation (because they are sorted correctly in Windows explorer, and were selected in that order). I seem to remember seeing that before in a different scenario. Apparently it's up to programs to deal with that as they see fit. TBH it would have been easy to say "sure, you have a point, we'll put in these extra few lines of code to sort the tabs".

BTW I perceived nothing wrong-headed in your reply. If anything, it was helpful.