Exporting edited file

Diane D

I am new to video editing and signed up for the free VideoPad yesterday. I edited a video, saved it and tried to export it. The files for it exist where I exported it to, but the video doesn't play. I saw that people complained that mp4 files aren't included in the free package, so I have just upgraded and paid the £84 fee. I still have the same issue with exporting and can't view the edited video.

I am very frustrated. If this can't be resolved then I would like a refund of the upgrade money I have paid please.

A refund could certainly be issued.  But before resorting to that let's see if the issue can be resolved.

Please install this release, then report your results.

Mp4 files are handled in the free or trial packages, but export that format may be limited.  If mp4 is not available, AVI export should be.

In the paid release there should be no export limitations.

What happens when you attempt to view the exported file in Windows Media Player or the like?

You should be able to ignore that warning.  There is no threat in the linked file.  Did you purchase VP from Microsoft or from the NCH site?

Please share the project for analysis.  The process isn't difficult, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps closely and we'll take a look...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

MS OneDrive.

I tried downloading Google Drive, but I have the same issue as with the link you sent.

There is no 'Run anyway' option to click on the message I get, just a 'Get apps from store' button or the option to 'Change my App recommendation settings', which I clicked on, but there is nothing obvious to change when I look at it.

You don't download Google Drive.  Just sign in with your Google ID, then upload the numbered VP folder that was saved via the procedure above.

In Google, choose upload FOLDER UPLOAD.  Then click the UPLOAD button.  When the upload completes, right-click the file and click SHARE.

Be sure that it doesn't say "restricted."  If so, change that to "Anyone With Link Has Access."

Odd.  It seems that your initial MS download has caused an issue with downloading  from the NCH site??   NCH files should not be thwarted.

Once we take a look at the project, further recommendations can be made.

So...

I deleted the project folders I created and then saved from scratch for the umpteenth time in the hope it might just work this time. I can now watch the exported video. It may not happen on the first, second, third or fourth etc time of opening the file, when it will automatically close without playing anything, but eventually it does play it and when it does it looks okay.

I'm not sure why it doesn't play on the first time of opening the file, but as long as it does open eventually I will accept it.

btw, before my initial correspondence I had tried saving as an AVI export, but that didn't work either.

Given the problems I've been having trying to do even the simplest things you've asked, and even though this isn't perfect I think I shall accept it as effectively working. Still it is very odd that the file doesn't open at the first time of trying??? Hey ho!

Thank you for trying to help me.

Upload the project and we might get a clue.  An mp4, AVI or other export should always play in any player that accepts those common formats.  What player is being used?

Never delete source files or folders until the project is no longer needed, or VP won't know where to find the files should you want to reload the project.

You likely know that Saving isn't the same as Exporting.  Exporting creates an mp4, AVI, etc. that should be playable in most any video player.

Saving creates a VPJ file (not playable) that tells the program what to do.

Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the caret to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.

On 9/21/2023 at 12:42 PM, Diane D said:

I think I got the free trial from Microsoft. I then upgraded within the VideoPad site.

I am having trouble with uploading. It's not allowing me to upload the folder.

We did the same thing. Then install from Microsoft does not work right with the upgrade. I had to remove the video pad install and reinstall. It seems the install from Microsoft does not upgrade The paid version installs a second copy. The problem is the icon starts the Microsoft copy. Once i removed Video pad and reinstalled it, I did not have a problem with it reading the correct license.