no help at all in this forum

ilanesh

I have now posted a very long time and till now never received any single answer.

For what is this forum here? only to leave the poor people without any answer for their problems?

Again, I have no outgoing sound on expresstalk softphone, the free version, but I have incomming sound, on Linux, so at least someone could answer here, this is a very bad way to not recognize other people needs!!! :angry:

Firstly, this forum is not very popular so yes it will take some time for people to read and respond to your question. I think thats pretty obvious as only a couple of topics have been posted since you first posted the one you are referring to. Please be patient, or purchase technical support from NCH if you need a faster answer.

Secondly, NCH is not obligated to provide any support on this forum, this forum is intended for users to talk to other users about the software. So, you'll have to wait for community members like myself to respond, and if we don't know the answer your topic may not be answered.

Thirdly, NCH never designed this software for use on Linux under wine as far as I know. Wine has issues, its not perfect, so when things don't work with it, its usually a case of Wine has poor support for 'emulating' that feature, and not a case of the product being defective. Also because this software was not meant for linux, you will probably not find any other users here who have run this on linux and it will be very hard to get an answer from somebody with experience with that.

Finally, all I can say is I don't personally know the answer, it could be WINE's lack of support for it, it could be incorrect port numbers, it could be the receiving party cannot receive the audio that is transmitted, or it could be the software can't recognize the audio device to send the audio from.

• 1 year later...
Firstly, this forum is not very popular so yes it will take some time for people to read and respond to your question. I think thats pretty obvious as only a couple of topics have been posted since you first posted the one you are referring to. Please be patient, or purchase technical support from NCH if you need a faster answer.

Secondly, NCH is not obligated to provide any support on this forum, this forum is intended for users to talk to other users about the software. So, you'll have to wait for community members like myself to respond, and if we don't know the answer your topic may not be answered.

Thirdly, NCH never designed this software for use on Linux under wine as far as I know. Wine has issues, its not perfect, so when things don't work with it, its usually a case of Wine has poor support for 'emulating' that feature, and not a case of the product being defective. Also because this software was not meant for linux, you will probably not find any other users here who have run this on linux and it will be very hard to get an answer from somebody with experience with that.

Finally, all I can say is I don't personally know the answer, it could be WINE's lack of support for it, it could be incorrect port numbers, it could be the receiving party cannot receive the audio that is transmitted, or it could be the software can't recognize the audio device to send the audio from.

You're right, this forum sucks...and it suck that NCH hasn't ported Express Talk to run natively on Linux. Linux is the fastest growing operating system and it's only a matter of time before its users outnumber Max OS users, but it's not true that there aren't any people running this software on Linux. I have loaded and run the software on Ubuntu Linux and it runs using WINE but I have the same audio problem that this user has... no inbound sound. I can make and receive calls and the other end can hear me but I can't hear them. The problem seems to be in the audio settings configuration in Express Talk. Incidentally, I have a similar problem running it on Windows XP... the audio settings don't "stick" so I have to reconfigure the audio input and output devices each time I run the program... very poor programming! Anyway, on Linux I don't even have a choice over the output audio device... it only shows "default sound out" in the drop down. My audio works fine using Skype on Linux and other audio programs running under WINE so I don't think it's WINE... again the suspicion goes to the NCH software. If anyone can help me with either of these problems, WINE or Windows XP, I would be very grateful. Because of these problems I have ordered a VoIP router from iPhonex to get around this problem, but if I experience any technical problems with the router then I'll be switching to Vonage where as least I know the technology works very well and the support is good, and at the same price as iPhonex without having to pay extra for support!

You're right, this forum sucks...and it suck that NCH hasn't ported Express Talk to run natively on Linux. Linux is the fastest growing operating system and it's only a matter of time before its users outnumber Max OS users, but it's not true that there aren't any people running this software on Linux. I have loaded and run the software on Ubuntu Linux and it runs using WINE but I have the same audio problem that this user has... no inbound sound. I can make and receive calls and the other end can hear me but I can't hear them. The problem seems to be in the audio settings configuration in Express Talk. Incidentally, I have a similar problem running it on Windows XP... the audio settings don't "stick" so I have to reconfigure the audio input and output devices each time I run the program... very poor programming! Anyway, on Linux I don't even have a choice over the output audio device... it only shows "default sound out" in the drop down. My audio works fine using Skype on Linux and other audio programs running under WINE so I don't think it's WINE... again the suspicion goes to the NCH software. If anyone can help me with either of these problems, WINE or Windows XP, I would be very grateful. Because of these problems I have ordered a VoIP router from iPhonex to get around this problem, but if I experience any technical problems with the router then I'll be switching to Vonage where as least I know the technology works very well and the support is good, and at the same price as iPhonex without having to pay extra for support!

I get really tired of people saying this forum sucks. IT IS A USER FORUM! If no one else has had this problem than you may not get a response. Maybe running the software on a platform is was not designed to run on could be the problem. And then YOU are having the same problem and you don't chime in to ask what he has tried and compare notes, but the forum sucks. When I have user questions, the forum works well but may take time. When I have a support issue, I have paid for support and expect them to help me. Maybe it's not the forum that sucks but what you expect of it.

Don

• 3 months later...

Have you been able to run express talk on Linux yet? There are lots of other softphone choices for Linux. I am using Ekiga and it works just as well as express talk basic.