Videopad 13.51 bug? - timeline marker jumps away when splitting selected track

HunterEdits

Would love to use the bug reporter but all I get from it is "err_connection_refused" and I just checked windows firewall and my router, nothing blocked. sigh

I wish to split an audio track but not the video track because that imposes processing requirements and makes a mess. So I decide what part of the audio track to split at using the timeline marker. The way to split is L (inherited from movie maker lol). To split only the selected track, shift+L. 

The problem is when I press shift, the timeline marker jumps to the start of the audio segment for some stupid reason. But not 100% of the time. I don't really know what is going on, but I found in this version I frequently had to reselect the time I wanted to split it and reselect the track to split before I could do it.

I guess someone added a "shift to jump to segment start" bind which conflicts with being able to split a selected track. Or something was changed to effectuate that.

<Shift-L> will split both audio and video of a selected clip at the cursor point.

To split audio only, position the cursor and click the caret to the right of the split button.  Click on the appropriate drop-down choice.

image.png

Hi borate, I don't think this is what HunterEdits wanted to say. If you click on any clip, the red cursor jumps to the beginning of this clip. This behavior is quite new and unfortunately really annoying. One example:

I have a clip (video and audio) on track 1 and additionally a short audio clip on track 2, let's say it's a censor beep. First I search the position (in track 1) where the beep should be, then I click there to move the red cursor to it (=to mark it). Now I want to drag the audio in track 2 exactly to this position (=to the red cursor). But when I click on the clip in track 2, the red cursor jumps away (to the beginning of the audio clip in track 2) and so my marking is gone 😞

Could be, I reverted to 13.0 because of this. I make hundreds of cuts on an audio track. I thought it had something to do with shift but perhaps it was some kind of track selection.

But yes, I chose where I wanted a cut to go, *shift* and suddenly I'm looking at a completely different part of the timeline: the start of the clip and the place I was going to split is who knows where.

• 3 weeks later...

This is likely to be resolved in the next release (13.60 or later).

In the interim, if you would like to install the beta (test) version, go here.

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.