Disappearing audio bug

nzot

I have a project in v 13.21 where the audio from video clips goes blank (flat-lined, no visible wav form, no audible sound), apparently at random, meaning I haven't seen an obvious pattern of events that trigger it. Reinstalling (64-bit version) seemed to "fix" it (restarting did not), but it happened again just now. Any ideas what is causing this? It's rather frustrating to have worked on something for hours and then suddenly not be able to export it because the audio is just gone. I already reported the bug but clues as to what the cause is could help get things done.

Been seen on occasion in that build.  Restart VP and don't load the project, then Go to OPTIONS | DISK tab and Clear Unused Cache Files.  Now load the project.

Or use this release for now.  Ignore any virus warning.   Report back.

Of course, Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the caret to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.   That's your protection.

I had already done the "clear unused cache files" a couple times. That doesn't seem to fix it, though I wondered if it had something to do with triggering it. And today there's a new twist--took another video from an iPhone, added it to a project, and while most of the project audio later disappeared, that particular file is showing a weird square wav form, like it's clipping hundreds of times. The "normalize" option for "external" audio is not checked, as I turned that off a long time ago finding it just makes everything clip, so that is not what's causing it. Oh well, reinstall again and see what happens. Sure would like to finish this tonight.

Install the release linked above.  By ear, the audio may not actually be clipping, despite the waveform display.  That's been noted here in version 13.21.

Clear Unused Cache Files prior to loading the project and see if that brings back the waveform.