x264enc7x64.exe reloading

Pete31684

VP V13.21 64 bit.

I've just exported a video that requires the above file. VP opens up a new chrome window and downloads the file, which then appears in my downloads folder. VP then correctly exports the output file. All good.

If I export it again, VP downloads the file again. There are now two copies in downloads. Every time I export the video, it downloads it again.

That in itself is weird enough. But it gets funnier...

I disconnected the PC from the internet, exported the file again, and it still downloaded the file, and yet another copy appeared in the downloads folder. Where did it find the file? There was no internet connection.

I did a search of the hard drive, and deleted every single copy of x264enc7x64.exe. Searched again, and it didn't find a single copy anywhere. Export the video again, it downloads another copy into my downloads folder. Which leads me to two questions:-

1. Why does it download the file every time I export a video?

2 Where is it finding the file to download when there is no internet connection and every copy has been deleted.

One thing I did note is that x264enc7.exe is 1578KB, x264enc7x64.exe is only 571KB

I've fixed it. It does appear to be a bug in VP.

You need to manually create a folder in \users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Components called "x264enc7x64" and manually put the file x264enc7x64.exe in there. Then run VP as administrator.

Surely VP should be doing all that itself?

Odd.  That's where it resides, and was installed with VP.  Never has it reinstalled or made dupes here.

You might delete all files in that folder (with VP closed), reboot, then install the latest, as a test to see whether the file is propagated to the correct folder.

image.png

I tried that. No matter what I do, when VP needs to download that file it just keep downloading it every time. It never creates the directory x264enc7x64 to put it into. The only way I can fix it is to create the directory manually, and put the file in it.