How to auto-sync separate audio track to video track?

Martin Tufvesson

I'm going to use separate sound recording when I film my interviews. I've heard there should be a auto sync funktion where the system recognizes the original speech sound from the video and puts my recorded separate sound in sync with that. Is this possible with NCH?  I can't find the function...

• borate changed the title to How to auto-sync separate audio track to video track?

OK. I´ve done the download and installation. Now I can see Sync Audio in the menu. But when I try to sync it says: "No matching sound track found" The audio is MP3 and the video is a short video that I recorded from NHC directly. I recorded the sound simultaneously from my iPhone and then put them together in the program in different tracks. How come it doesn't work?

Despite making concurrent recordings, it's possible that the bitrates of the files are not the same.

Share the project.  Takes only minutes and can be private.  Just follow these steps and it's likely that someone will come up with a solution...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

• 2 weeks later...

I had issues with this. If the sample rate (48khz vs 44.1khz etc) is not the same, the sync will just fail and you won't know why. You have to make sure the sample rates of both sound sources are the same first. I did this via Reaper, which can import all kinds of things (including video, though only the audio will be visible to you if you don't set it to show the video window) and export to basically any format (including video formats like mp4, though you can just strip out the audio as well). The typical "standard" for video is 48khz, while audio is 44.1khz. Of course in reality it depends on the particular device, manufacturer, settings, etc.--there really isn't a true standard these days.