Need to Use GPU in Exporting Videos to Save time with Large Timeline Videos

Sherif Soliman

Well, buy VideoPad is my suggestion, if you haven't already! Where are you transferring the movie from? For my part, who uses the Samsung Gear 360 2016 model and the Samsung S7, all films and images must be transferred to the mobile phone first and then transferred via cable to the VideoPad. And yes, it takes an incredibly long time when it comes to 360vr films.

I have a desktop computer with:
Windows 10 home
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60GHz
16.0 GB of memory
MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS GP OC - 6GB GDD
And three ssd disks.

But most of my problem can probably be referred to the mobile phone. Will check if the samsung s10 is compatible with my gear 360 camera.

I don't regret buying VideoPad. but you should have the latest version, yes. 

I haven't chosen any special video card when I render movies, I just use VidePad. But I know that in my laptop that I have two different video cards, I have to go into the bios and choose which of the graphics cards I want to use. Something else you can do is start the control panel for your video card and see if you have any options there!

7.39 is old.  Much GPU usage improvement has been made since.  Update to the current release, which you can test drive unlicensed.  GPU activity will vary, dependent upon source.  If eligible, Lossless export will be very fast...   https://www.nch.com.au/kb/10288.html

Ketil's need to transfer to mobile may relate to his specific gear.  That issue  is being looked into.  Videopad doesn't require an interim import step.

Thanks Ketil's and Borate, Much appreciated, But If I purchase the last version of Video Pad, Purchase the Ultimate version or the Monthly Billing Version?

To know more on how I think, I use Video Pad for Online Lecturing Video Editing and regarding your Question Mr. Ketil above... I use Debut to record my Screen while Lecturing then to Edit my Videos via Video Pad Editor, so what Bundle shall I choose?

Here are the options:  MASTERS (Professional) and HOME.  A subscription is billed quarterly, with the likelihood that updates will be supplied as available.

A one-time purchase comes with a six-month period of free updates (often just minor enhancements and minor fixes).  After that, a fee is required.  But it's not necessary to update if your version is doing the job.  It won't expire.  And newer releases can always be test driven, even if unlicensed.  Just retain your purchased copy for reinstallation.

If you have no use for the extras listed as bundles on the linked page above, then it's likely that the HOME version alone will do the job.  You can always upgrade.  Come back here if issues surface.

Under OPTIONS | EDITING, the default is probably optimal...image.png or the card can be manually chosen.

You have a competent PC.  GPU usage will vary with type of encoding, format, export settings, and card compatibility.  It is utilized during export.

Share a project here (or in private) for comparison.  It's not difficult to do.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

As to licensing...   https://nch.invisionzone.com/topic/30631-using-vp-on-multiple-computers-with-one-license/

These files are missing from the project folder (click to enlarge)...

Files.jpg

Please include only files that are actually used in the project.  To remove those that are not, select all files in the appropriate bin (likely VIDEO), using <ctrl-A.>  Then press the DEL key.  Check mark the Do This For All box.  Press the CANCEL button (not the delete key).

Resave the project using Save AS, giving it a unique # or name.  Then load that project and create the back-up (portable) folder as instructed above.

12 hours ago, borate said:

Ketil's need to transfer to mobile may relate to his specific gear.  That issue  is being looked into.  Videopad doesn't require an interim import step.

No, not to mobile, but from mobile to computer. But this is not where the biggest bottleneck is, because I have to download the film from the samsung gear 360 camera to mobile first and this is where the biggest bottleneck is. After this, I can transfer the film via mobile phone to the computer via usb 3.1. The latter enters VideoPad quite quickly. We all know that the actual process of converting/uploading to YouTube can take a very long time, depending on the size and format of the film.

In this area I am somewhat more uncertain, so here the experts can probably give you better advice.

Mp4 export at 1080 resolution with frame rate set to Smart Max completed in a little more than 33 minutes.  CPU averaged 32%;  GPU 55%-60%.

A lower resolution seems suitable ... and would be quicker.

While the nearly four-hour project took about 70 minutes to fully cache - for seamless preview play - it could be exported during the load.

That's where Proxy editing may come in handy.  Takes set-up time, but can speed up response during editing - especially on complex UHD projects.

Lengthy projects can sometimes benefit from being broken into short exported segments. Those exports can be assembled for the final export.

Planning is key:  the best approach depends upon the nature of the job.

Be sure to use the 64-bit version.

1080p is the best output It would seem.  It will be the best possible solution to get engineering lines and points to be visible on a piece of paper while I presume Lecturing, this is Essential :(

But how to make all this with lower size? more 3GB is more than I expected, I wish it would lower to be 1GB or maximum 1.5GB, how to manage this and that? :)

And how to know my version whether it is 64-Bit or something else?

File size will be affected by several factors.  Here's an important one...

Click the blue Default Quality/Filesize link and try different quality settings...  quality.jpg

Your 1080 test export here produced a 2GB file.

To see whether you have 64-bit VP, look at the splash screen at start up or click the Menu (top-left) HELP | ABOUT.  If it doesn't list "64-bit" it's not.

image.png