Trying to add text underneath cropped video

S400

I have a mobile phone (vertical/portrait) orientation video which was shot over the heads of people in front of me.  

I cropped out the bottom part (to cut out most of the "head space"), but this just left a black empty area underneath the remaining/cropped video.

I was hoping to resize the video to match the shape of the remaining/cropped area - but I can't find out a way to do this.

So PLAN-B:   can I put some text (white on black background) in the area underneath the the remaining/cropped video ?

I was able to create the text using "Simple Text Overlay" and this created a second track which I set to run the entire duration of the video.

What I cannot do now is get the text to show up in the resultant MP4 video.

I've followed the Add Text tutorial, and end up with the same thing:  2 video tracks - one of the video, and the other of the text to overlay, but the example has the text placed over the video, and not underneath, so it doesn't cover what I am trying to do.

Does anyone know how to do this?

To position and resize the cropped image use the SCALE or MOTION effect.

Plan B:   Simple text on track 2.   Use the Text Background setting (set to black in the flower image)... 

image.png

The text box can also be positioned and scaled.  Drag it, or use the sliders.

The result - an image cropped at the bottom, with text beneath...

Snapshot - 3.png