Problem writing non-interlaced Progressive Digital files as Interleaved Files

Russ Croucher

I have discovered a new problem with video pad.  Being a software engineer I figure out what version I have that the problem 1st occurred.  Version 8.97 was no problem.  I 1st detected the problem with 10.04.  This goes always back to January 2021.  So all video pad versions after January 2021 writing digital files that were progressive is written as interlaced.  Here are 2 short videos that shows the problem.  I also included the source file and the project that I used to create these files.  The final project version had been changed from  version 12.  So I changed the file to make it version 11 and it did load fine.  Here is my cloud link to the 4 files.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuSetTxgq7JxqYoPFVOsOPXWtIeVHw?e=e32NxC

The source AVI is 8 GB so it will take a while for my cloud to load it. But you can look at the problem.  Now I need to go back and figure out what customers are affected by this problem.

I specifically chose a problem with moving video in the front so I can easy determine what version was the problem.  That way I used a binary search to figure out what version 1st because the problem.  Now I'm in the process of trying what to do all the customers I have digital FireWire files that were not processed correctl

-0-0-

I have a good workaround that seems to work fairly reliable until video pad comes up with a better solution.  I always run the final product through handbrake and normally I keep interlace turned off for digital 8 and mini DV.  But turning it on solves the problem.  Again here is my cloud example that was a problem and I ran it through handbrake with interlace detection turned on.  The problem goes away.  Except for the last frame which is only 1/2 a frame in the interlace shows up that is correct and all other frames.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuSetTxgq7JxqYoPFVOsOPXWtIeVHw?e=e32NxC

Actually, digital 8 and mini DV are recorded at 30 Hz non-interlaced.  So even running handbrake in the end you only need to do 60 Hz at most.  I'm of the argument that your brain can't really see any over 30 Hz in gamers like high-speed refresh because of the latency of the video processing which is smaller on the higher-speed.  So therefore they get faster response time in the computer.  I was never much of a gamer because writing code in the Nvidia graphics engine may it seem like I was going to work.

So I argue that running de-interlaced on 30 Hz is okay.  I did run into a problem that if you're going to image stabilize digital 8 or miniDV with these later versions (later than version 8.95) you must say it is interlaced with the lower field 1st in the image stabilization part.  Because handbrake also must be informed that is interlaced otherwise you can visually see a problem in the video.

• 3 months later...