Green flashes in rendered video

mommacom

I'm making a really simple video with several clips and no transitions or filters. When I export the video, the edited video shows multiple green lines and flashes at various parts throughout. I am not using the green screen feature. I cleared the cache and downloaded the updated software and it continues to happen. Any suggestions?

What version did you update to?  Here's the latest.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

What are your PC's specs:  CPU/GPU/RAM?  What are the export settings?

Try this.  Open OPTIONS | EDITING tab and in the Advanced section at the bottom click on Default.  Choose instead None (CPU) only.  Now go to OPTIONS | DISK tab and Clear Unused Cache Files.  Restart Videopad and before loading anything again clear the cache.  Restart once more.

If none of this helps please share your project.  Someone will take a look and come up with a fix.  The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

• 2 weeks later...

A similar issue got solved for me when I used a different compressor: MPEG4 worked nicely whereas H264 gave green flash screens.

Compressor can be found when you click on export video and behind "file format" click the 'default quality/filesize' and in a new pop-up screen you can select which compressor you want.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again.

Thanks so much for your previous help. 

I am now in the very same predicament as I was before, and now even after clearing the cache, changing to "CPU only" and also changing to the MPEG4 compressor, I am getting a frozen video image with a green bar across the top, although I do have audio. 

This is very embarrassing but I really don't know anything about computers, despite doing tons of home editing using NCH for many years. I didn't answer the last question about my GPU/CPU/RAM because I don't even really know what that means. I know my RAM is 16.0, my processor 3.40GHz, but am unclear on what the other things even are, even after doing a google search on how to find them. I'm an old lady, and that's my excuse! (hangs head in shame).

I recently purchased the upgrade and it seems to be working worse than before. I truly appreciate your help because I love the software!

Do you see the green bar in preview, or only after exporting the project?

The best way to troubleshoot is to share the project.  It is not difficult and you don't need to be computer savvy.  Again, just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

If you have a Google account, the same ID/password will work for Google Drive.  Same for Microsoft accounts and their One Drive.

Use this version of Videopad.

Thanks for getting back to me right away. In a last ditch effort, I changed the frame rate from 1080p HD to 720p and it worked! Looks great and for what I am doing, the quality is completely fine.

Thanks again for answering so thoroughly and quickly!

Good to hear.  But it would still be enlightening to see the project.  Upload and share it, as above, if at all possible.

You should not be seeing green lines at any resolution.  What version is being used (look at the left-bottom corner of the VP window)?