Sound clips processing for over 24 hours

Redfox

Running VideoPad 12.02 on Windows 

I was editing an hour+ long project in VideoPad made up of several .mkv and .mp3 files. I was experiencing frequent crashes and a lot of lag, so I reported as much and downloaded the suggested update from 11.73 to 12.00. Upon completing said update, my sound clips are indefinitely processing. I've uninstalled and reinstalled to no affect, restarted my PC several times, reverted from 12.00 back to 11.73 and even updated from 11.73 to the 12.02 beta, yet across all save files on all versions of Videopad tested so far (11.73, 12.00, 12.02), sound clips process forever. I am unable to complete a back-up for the project-sharing analysis steps listed on site and VideoPad will not export the video due to the processing of the sound clips never resolving.

What am I doing wrong and what further information can I provide to help with the assessment of the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Interesting.  What are the PC's specs:  CPU/GPU/RAM?

Install this release, then launch Videopad as Administrator by right-clicking its icon.   image.png  Please report back on whether that helps.

For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

In lieu of not being able to FILE | BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO A FOLDER or SAVE PORTABLE PROJECT, first back up the project.  Then go to the source folder that contains all the project files.

There should be a VPJ file there as well. Zip them all, then upload and share the Zip file here.  If using Google Drive be sure that "anyone can view" (not "restricted").

Processor    11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700F @ 2.50GHz   2.50 GHz
Installed RAM    16.0 GB (15.7 GB usable)
System type    64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I installed the linked release, and loading the project in question has resulted in the app crashing three times consecutively.

I believe this is what you're looking for, but please let me know otherwise: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qUmummkqZI38Dr94UvrBGdL6bPtM1Kzc/view?usp=sharing

Very odd.  No, in addition to the VPJ, ALL the source files are needed.  If you cannot get the back up as described below, just zip the entire folder that contains them.

The process is easy, quick and can be done privately. 

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

What video adapter is being used?  Confirm that the video driver and Direct-X are current... https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/kb/1772.html

Also try this...

Close Videopad.  Using Windows Explorer (the file manager) locate these folders and delete all the files that they contain.  Then reinstall Videopad...

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\Components"  (Or the same path without the (x86).)

"C:\Users\<PC name>\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Components"

I am unable to back up as described in your post, and I can't seem to locate the directory that holds the source files. Where would I be able to locate the source files in Windows Explorer?

As for the video adapter, dxdiag claims that my DirectX Version is DirectX 12.

Should I move forward with this step, or try to send the source files first?

Is the video driver up to date?  If not, use the appropriate link to locate the latest release.  https://www.nchsoftware.com/videopad/kb/1772.html

It makes no difference which is done first.  The file deletion step, then a reinstall, are worth a try.

As for finding project files:  right-click on any file in the video bin (top-left of the window) and... 

image.png

That will open Windows Explorer to the folder.  Usually, but not always, the project files are in the same folder.

Windows is updating now to 2022-08 Cumulative Update Preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 11 for x64 (KB5016594), but other than that, it says it is completely up to date, so assuming my driver is up to date as well.

File deletion steps are complete.

After installing  this release, I am no longer able to open the project without it crashing.

If you have access to another PC, try installing Videopad there.

Here's another stable release to test install.

No, Windows Update doesn't usually deal with the video driver.  Update from the appropriate manufacturer's site.  Is it AMD?  NVidia?  Intel Graphics?

Zip and upload the source files if you can.  Videopad need not be running to accomplish that.

Sorry it's been a while since my last response, real life stuff. I appreciate your help and patience as we work through this issue.

My computer is warning me that that VideoPad execution file can't be downloaded securely. Is there a similar one you could send?

As for my video driver, here are the current specs:

• Driver Version: 512.77
  • Driver Type: DCH
  • Direct3D feature level: 12_1
  • CUDA Cores: 1536
  • Graphics boost clock: 1770 MHz
  • Memory data rate: 12.00 Gbps
  • Memory interface: 192-bit
  • Memory bandwidth: 288.05 GB/s
  • Total available graphics memory: 14173 MB
  • Dedicated video memory: 6144 MB GDDR6
  • System video memory: 0 MB

As for the source files, I will get them to you soon, but I wanted to respond about the link and my driver specs first, the files will take a bit more time.

The project file appears to incompatible with the linked version of VideoPad.

NVIDIA Installer is installing the latest driver, v516, and should be done by the time I am able to send you my source files, which may be tomorrow evening.

The total transfer amount for the source files is north of 210 GB and will take over 4 hours to transfer to a compressed file (the files were in different directories, so I moved them all to one file and will compress it and link it here once the relocation is complete)

Open the VPJ project file in Notepad.  To see the VPJ, choose All Files at the bottom-right.

At the very top of the VPJ file, change the version # from 12 to 11 and <File |Save>..  Now it will prompt when you attempt to run the project in the above suggested 'stable' release, but it should load.

210 Gigs won't be practical;  save your effort.  Instead, see if you can delete all except a small segment of the project that has the issue.  Then upload and share, using the back-up folder procedure suggested above.  Before making changes...  Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the chevron to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.

Other things to try...

If VP will launch, go to OPTIONS | EDITING tab and in the Advanced | Video Processor area at the bottom click on Default.  Choose NONE (CPU) only.  Then restart Videopad and before loading anything go to OPTIONS | DISK tab and Clear Unused Cache Files

Restart it again with a right-click | Run As Administrator.   Load the project.

If it continues to fail test the project on another PC, if possible.

I was able to get the project to load into VideoPad, however it takes an obscenely long time to load and I have not gotten it to load to completion yet so far.

A portion of the project: 

VideoPad claims that my cache is empty. I tried loading it onto v12.00 and it still stops responding and takes a long time for it to respond. The VideoPad version I downloaded from you most recently will load the project without the app not responding, but I have the aforementioned load time issue, particularly it seems to be having trouble finding the peak and loading .mkv files.

If the project is truly 210GB, that would explain the load time.   Especially with UHD, large files, this can be a challenge for any editor.  Review the Proxy Editing suggestions in the 'sticky' post at the top of this forum.  Pre-trimming or breaking up individual files -  leaving only the content to be used - is worthy of consideration.

When composing, it can be best to break a lengthy effort into smaller segments, export each, then assemble those part for final export.  Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the chevron to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.

To disable peak finding go to OPTIONS | MEDIA tab and uncheck this box.  image.png

Another toggle to test - OPTIONS | EDITING tab.  In the Advanced Video Processor section at the bottom click on Default and choose None (CPU only).

Unless the project can be broken down, still has the issue, and then can be uploaded and analyzed here it's tough to make further suggestions

I may attempt to break up the project and export it piece-by-piece and put it back together at the end as you suggest, though I will shortly be sending a small portion of the total project as a zip file just in case there is something wrong with the files themselves. I will send the file and then attempt to disable peak finding (I was able to set Advanced Video Processing to None (CPU only) before my latest fix attempts).

And you can try the Default Video Processing setting as well, though this may unrelated to your issue.

If a portion of the project is loaded, and the Back-up procedure noted above followed, we can see it just as you do.

You can also submit a file or two, individually, if you feel that this will illustrate the problem.

I am unable to export in portions as planned because sound clip files cannot finish processing. This applies to all VideoPad projects, not just the current one, and it is regardless of the project byte size.

Would it be okay to simply link an unzipped file? For whatever reason, the file doesn't appear to be zipping, loading indefinitely.

edit: the project not loading is a negligible issue that can be dealt with using patience.

Does the processing issue prevent using FILE | BACK UP PORTABLE PROJECT?  If not, it's unimportant whether audio has loaded.

Follow the instructions above and share the project file, which will contain all source files + the VPJ.

You state that no project will load audio.  If you have a shorter project than the one initially discussed here that has the issue please share that one.

Which Videopad version is being used?  Look at the bottom-left corner of the window.

I have backed up the project files, though I couldn't find the "Back Up Portable Project" option specifically, just "Save As Portable Project" and Back Up Project" (although the back up is still in progress).

Portion of Project zipped file folder (VPJ not included, however I have already linked the VPJ file so that should be fine): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yvH93cQ-hqcL4Z8TWV1eJ_i-wt3m6TFI/view?usp=sharing

The most recent version I downloaded from the link you provided was v10.96, though that had some issues, so I switched back to 12.00, the best one so far in terms of performance. Nothing has worked 100% properly since I updated from v11.73 to v12.00 though if that might have some relevance.

FILE | Save Portable Project as ... and Back up files to a folder are the same.  Either one will create a folder containing all source files in the project + the VPJ.

The zip file linked in your last post, is empty.

Load a project, Back up files to a folder.  Upload the folder.  Get a link and post it here.

Though it isn't pertinent to the last set of instructions, I would like to let you know that, upon loading up a different project today, the project's audio worked, meaning now the problem seems to be secluded to this one project as opposed to the previous case where it affected all projects. This leads me to believe the problem is with the audio files or project file themselves, as this is also the case when opening the project on a different device. Would you like me to attempt to back up the files to the folder as mentioned prior, or does that information change anything?

It would definitely helpful to analyze the problem project.  But if it's more than 10 or so GB it's not practical to upload and share.

That would be a case where you might delete part of the project - to a more manageable size.  Then, if it still exhibits the issue, share it.

You didn't provide a project (VPJ file) but version 12.03, had no problem loading the files.   OPTIONS | EDITING | Advanced | Video Processor set to Default.

Mp4 on track 1, MKV on track 2, two image files randomly placed as overlays on track 3.  6:47 excerpt.

Owing to the length and size of the files, it can take minutes of caching time (green line above the thumbnails) to complete, and audio to process.

Use the 64-bit VP version.

image.png

So the files processed to completion, but I still can't hear any sound clips (audio on PC working fine, did other tests). I'm currently exporting it with no issue, but I did want to apprise you of the situation. There is some improvement in that the audio is no longer indefinitely processing, but the problem is not quite fixed in that I still don't hear anything.