Painfully slow

SimonGtn

I have been using Videopad for many many years, but I am now (having just renewed my license again as thought latest version would solve my issues) seriously considering abandoning the product.

Importing video and caching very slow (~8gb of 4k 60fps MP4 HVEC H265)

Exporting the then assembled clips, exporting as MP4 as H265 just hangs and then says failed, no other messages. Swapping to H264 and using the medium quality has thus far taken 2 hours and got 50% of the way through (30fps, 4k)

Version of VideoPad 11.80 (Build July 26th 22022)

PC Spec:

Windows 10 Pro 21H2

• Intel Core i9-10980XE
  • 64Gb Ram
  • Nvidia 3090 (Driver is 516.40 15th June)
  • Storage all either m.2 nvme or sata ssd

But the PC is basically idling, minimal disc IO, CPU is background levels and GPU load is 20%.

For a PC of this spec it should eat the above and spit it back out in a matter of minutes, what gives? I know there is a lot of variables involved but frankly this seems pathetic performance from this software and can find nothing in the settings to even try and tweak / tune performance.

Grabbed some screenshots of settings and details and dropped them here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/owrbhejqquf66mk/AADfEh7s8qZXotMzVv2Q3Xsoa?dl=0 

However due to the amount of data I do not really wish to upload the entire project so someone else can tell me it's my PC that's the issue 🙄

In the end 5.94Gb of video ~18mins long Started at 17:13 and finally completed at 21:17 some 4+ hours. 

Switching to the 64bit build (why is this not the default download option) has certainly improved the import / cache speed as all 36 cores sat at 100% which is good, as appears to be re-indexing a fresh not just loading what was in the cache from the 32bit version.

Have installed the latest nvidia driver (and rebooted) but H265 export still hangs for 20-30sec and then fails, this is on the 64Bit build.

I have 3 more days of videos to clip up and combine so at least the import process is faster but exporting I think will be the similarity painful but won't know till I kick the next export off fully after this (was really hoping the H265 was going to work)

64-bit 11.86.  Strung together six 1.5G 4K files (two-minutes each) that were created using H264@30fps in Matroska format. Added another 1.5 file as an overlay for good measure.  Loading the files was relatively quick.

Twelve minutes, roughly 10 GB of content.  Using a PC slightly less beefy than yours...

H265 4K export @45fps took 68.5 minutes, with average 10% GPU and up to 100% CPU.    Exported file size:  153 MB.

H264 export completed in 3:27 with an average 95% GPU and 5% CPU.  Exported file size:  2.88 GB.

Under OPTIONS | EDITING tab, at the bottom, DEFAULT was listed.  You might try the other two choices.  The sluggishness doesn't appear to be with Videopad.

Each install has a clean cache.  The releases offered on the NCH site vary - sometimes they're 32, at others 64.  The link above should fetch the latest 64-bit flavor.

Yeh I grabbed a 64bit link from another post and was a marginally newer build (Aug 1st) and that seems to have solved the issues, I will try the option you mentioned on forcing the encoding.

13.5Gb of exported video (4k, 30fps, default quality, H264) took 2 hours 20mins overnight, think that video was shorter ~14mins but higher quality output so something funky with the 32bit version that I was using.

-0-0-

I feel like I am chatting with /dev/null

Changing that setting in editing tab makes zero difference to the export, PC is idling when forcing it to either CPU or the RTX3090 I am just going to have to put up with pathetic export speeds in H264 and H265 just not working full stop.

EDIT - Raised ticket with support

If you have the time and server space, please upload the shortest project that demonstrates the issue - for analysis and speed comparison.  Thanks.

The process is easy, quick and can be done privately.  Just follow these steps...

•     Back up --- With your project on the timeline, click on MENU at the top-left.  Click FILE|BACK UP PROJECT FILES TO FOLDER.  Choose a folder and SELECT FOLDER.
  •     Upload ---  Use a free server - Google Drive, MS OneDrive, etc.* - to upload the saved, numbered FOLDER.    Do NOT upload the individual VPJ or export file. 
  •     Get link --- Get a public link.  If using Google Drive click GET SHAREABLE LINK. If necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with the link can view" 
  •     Share ---     Click COPY LINK | DONE.  Paste that link here, or click the folder at the top-right of this forum to message it privately to me.  It won't be shared.

*    Before uploading, right-click the folder, click PROPERTIES.  Look at the File Size to confirm that it's not too big for the free space on the server.

-0-0-

Tested again, with v11.88 (beta).  Source:  nine identical MKV 30fps 1.5 GB files (13.5 total).  Export:  no effects, no transitions.  4k, 30fps, default quality, H264.  Resulting file size:  4.77 GB.  CPU activity was minimal, GPU was very high.

LOSSLESS export completed in 5:11.  Forced re-encoded export, surprisingly, took 5:06.

A lower quality export likely would have been satisfactory.  And no doubt it would have taken longer had there been transitions or effects.

@Borate if you look in the above dropbox link, there is a folder within that which has the exported project file and 1 bit of media. It's enough to test the problem with as the media is all from my phone and the other projects were just media files back to back with just simple text as title cards minimal transitions etc.

The numbers you're giving there is what I am expecting obviously scaled for bit rate and length etc

The 4K, 3:18 HEVC file took about 40 minutes to fully cache - for smoothest preview.  But that wasn't necessary prior to export.

Using a 64-bit VP version, the H264, 4K, 60fps export at default settings completed in 43 minutes.  Average CPU was 20%, GPU 10%.  File size: 3.81 GB.

Lowering the quality setting and frame rate might have produced satisfactory results with a quicker export and smaller file size.  Lowering res is another approach.  This content doesn't appear to demand 4K.

For lengthy, HD projects it's sometimes helpful to break them up into manageable segments, export each, then assemble the exports for the final export.

Ok I am getting closer to the problem, there is something about the media that has come off my Pixel 6 Pro, as just opened a project from the same music festival in 2019 where i had a Huawei P30 Pro (4k 30fps H264) and just clicked export video again on this project (4k, 30fps, H264, re-encode, medium quality) and 32mins of footage GPU hitting 95% utilisation created a 5.1Gb file in 7 minutes. This is the sort of performance I should be getting not exports for videos half the length.