F11 stills from a video. How to identify.

ElderlyGent

Good morning all

A short time ago I asked how to capture still from a video. I was instructed to pause the video at the point where I needed a still, then press F11.  This I did and after a slight twitch on screen it seemed to have happened.  This was good. I was also told that the still would be automatically saved into my 'pictures'.  To search through a host of photos is labour intensive indeed, so is there a way to find the still by name or number, as apart from actually seeing the still amngst a mas of others is difficult. 

I have both my old trusty W 7 where the word 'pictures' is shown, and on my standby W10  it says 'photos',  So is there a reference applied to each still that is saved to make finding it easier,,?

MAny thanks in advance, stay safe,

Drew

Hello, one work around is to right click anywhere on the folder and sort by date, last (or first) is the snapshot you took. Another option is to go to VideoPad Options> Disk> Save Snapshots to.. Browse for the folder you need as the default save location.

The way to capture a still image in Videopad is with a right-click in the preview window:  Take Snapshot (or clip or sequence, whichever is being displayed).

The snap will be shown as a thumbnail in the VP bin (top-left of the window) and be saved to your PC's PICTURES folder.

Good afternoon Makubx

Thanks for the support. Much appreciated, 

I went through the second suggestions,  ie  Options, send to and browse, but I thought it might be OK to make a new folder on the desktop so I could see it easily, and name it (VPJ in my case) so that any snaphots would go there. I found that in the browse and selected it.  Nut there was no OK  so I have to think that selecting it would be OK and closed it. 

I set up a NEW video and went throuh the steps and paused and did the F11. The ususal twitch. Mminimised it and opened the VPJ folder in hope that it would be there,  No such luck, the folder ws and still is empty.

Have I missed something ?  Please put me right. 

The PC folder in which the snaps will be saved is shown under OPTIONS | DISC tab in Videopad.  Normally it is the PICTURES folder.

Forget F11.  Use a right-click in the preview window as outlined above.  image.png

If you want a folder named "Videopad" then create that on your PC and point the Videopad option to that folder.

Good afternoon Borate

Many thanks for your help. Much appreciated,

I did as you suggested and it all seems to work but,,,,,,   I have a mass of pictures some in folders and many just saved,  I do not see a SEARCH tab so I could just search for VP bin.   Is there a way to do this?

stay safe

Drew

In the Videopad bin search often works by clicking focus in the bin, then simply typing the first letter of the clip name.  The clip name should highlight.

In a PC folder there should be a search box, often at the top-right of the window.  Or press <ctrl-F>.  That may invoke a search box.

image.png

Hi

As Borate notes....Don't bother with f11.

The first thing is to probably create a folder for your preview captures.(If you are going to create a lot). That way you can name it what you want and put in a place that you know....e.g. My holiday film images  on the  Desktop

If you are dealing with lots of images (snapshots) from different projects, it's always best to be orderly..create an image folder for each project and alter the Options/disk default destination for them.(See below.) It's easy to lose where they have gone otherwise!

Now open the VP Options/Disc  page.... You will see a box about 6 down entitled Save snapshots to... This will be a VP default folder if you have never changed this.

Use the Browse button on the right hand end to navigate to the folder you just created. That's where your snapshots will now be stored.

With your project on the timeline move the cursor line (or play the project) to the point you wish to save the image. It will now be visible in the Sequence Preview window. If you have just a single clip on the timeline the Clip Preview window will show the same image and will also behave as follows...

• Right click the preview window
  • Select Take a Snapshot of the Sequence (or Clip) 
  • Now select the size/AR of the image that will result... e.g. HD 1080 (1920 x1080)
  • The Image will now appear in the Image bin with the default name of Snapshot-1.png  (Screen snapshots will be pngs)
  • A copy of this snapshot will also be saved to the folder you created.
  • If you wish you can rename this snapshot in the bin. This doesn't, unfortunately rename the copy in your new folder.

If you now repeat the procedure for any other part of your project, VP will name the images Snapshot-1    Snapshot-2    Snapshot-3    etc. and copies will appear in the image bin as well as your named folder. It's up to you to change the names for better identification.

It would be useful if VP changed the names in the save folder as well....But it is as it is......Once saved outside of VP they are on their own!

Nat