Issues with beta version 11.48

Russ Croucher

I was having a problem with video pad and image stabilization audio issues with an earlier release 11.38.  So I created a thread to discuss the problem

Image Stabilization Audio bug in latest version 11.38

This new version solves the problem.  However, it produces a larger problem.  Video pad project file that has been version 11 for  3 years and has been change to version 12.  Probably some addition that only forward compatible.  Version 11 has been around since video pad 7.11 dated June 2019.  I understand software and we have to make things forward compatible people think we won't go backwards but users cannot afford to upgrade unless we are positive it will fix our problem.

So by going to this new version we cannot go backward at all.  Once the file is saved it'll be saved as version 12 and none of the previous versions can read it.  Is there an internal program that can convert version 12 down to version 11?  This would be very helpful.  Last time I've seen this problem was in January 2019 with version 7.0.

I want to stay current but I must also have to have some ability to use previous versions.  If a problem arises.

Yes that is exactly the problem!

I have written lots of code that is backwards compatible but never forwards compatible.  We can support all older versions of data using this version concept.  However, sometimes we cause a problem with the latest version and customers like myself need to go back to an older version that works in our situation.

Let's look at my particular situation.  We currently have a beta version 11.48 which seems to work fairly nice and fixes some problems.  However I am not using it yet because I'm still testing to make sure all my software will work with the latest version.  I am currently using 11.78 from back in September.  Why?  Because 11.86 has a problem that the (CTRL-A) key sequence does not work and 11.87 is the 1st version that has a timing problem in the stabilization that you fixed 11.48.  So until I'm absolutely certain all my software will work correctly in 11.48 I cannot upgrade yet.  However, in the testing I have a problem because the data file with the latest version goes to version 12.  Changing it to11 looks like it should work for my workaround.

So working on these large projects, sometimes we inadvertently cause problems on something that has worked for years when trying to introduce newer features.  The testing of these larger products can be very difficult.  Our test groups took great pride in finding our problems that we did not catch in the developing of the software.