VideoPad keeps losing my files

Vals Sweet Kitchen

Hi

That's not normal. You are saving the project I take it?  Are you moving or re-naming the files during those "few days" ? In which case opening the saved vpj file means VP won't find them and will prompt you to resolve (find) them in their new location or under their new name. Even if you cleared the cache VP would still be able to reconstruct the project if everything matched taking a little longer in the process. Did you possibly save the project with the files on an external drive which was not present when you tried to reload your project?

It would interesting to know if the location stated in the missing files screen was the same as the location where you eventually found them when you resolved each one... and were the file names the same as the VP window stated? They have to be identical of course for them to be loaded.

Nat

Usually the VPJ control file is in the same folder as the source files.  If source files are scattered in different folders, saving the VPJ will still find them.

Never move or rename source files until a project is complete.  Save Project File AS routinely, giving it a unique # or name, so as not to overwrite prior saves.  Using Save Project Files (no AS) will overwrite.  From the HOME tab, that choice is available by clicking the chevron to the right of the Save Project button on the toolbar.

No, I don't move any files and they're all in the same spot. This is how I create my video:

1. Open Videopad and new project

2. connect phone to computer. Pop upscreen asks to add files.

3. Select files to add to the project and download.

4. Save project with new name like Apple Pie

5. Work on project and save whenever I'm going to take a break. Save as Apple Pie 1, work on a little more, take a break, save as Apple Pie 2. I've also disconnected my phone during this time.

6. If I reopen later on, all the files need to be reconnected/resolved. If I export to a video, then I need to reconnect the files.

Sounds plausible.  Try it as suggested and there should be no issue.

Another way to treat this, likely with phone connected, is to use Menu | File | Save Portable Project As.  That copies all files on the sequence and writes the VPJ into a folder.

Open the folder, run the VPJ and the project will load.

Hi

As described...

• Load the phone files to a folder on your PC
  • Disconnect the phone as all the files are now on the PC in a designated folder
  • Add the required files from that folder to VP
  • Edit project in VP
  • At regular intervals Save Project As selecting the designated folder where you have the files.

This will save the vpj file alongside the clips. Use a different name for each save like you did...AP1    AP2   etc. Double clicking any of these vpjs will load the project back to VP in the same state that they were saved. You don't have to save the vpj(s) to the same folder as the clips but its more logical to do so. 

There will be no need to resolve any files. Your phone is not involved

Nat