Problem Downsizing Videos

Russ Croucher

I'm experiencing problems downsizing a 4K video to HD(1920x1080).  The original source file was an Apple MOV.  I was able to convert it to a 4K MP4 with video pad perfectly.  My goal was to go to HD but was experiencing some problems.  So I took a 1 minute segment of this 4K video and created a 1 minute 4K video in MP4.  This has become my source file that I used to create a 1 minute segment in HD with video pad and a 1 minute segment in HD with handbrake.  The handbrake produces the file perfectly but video pad seems to have some flickering going on.  I'm just asking for help.  Here is a link to the 3 files which is the source 1 minute 4K file and the 2 output files 1 handbrake and 1 video pad.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuSetTxgq7JxqOhvGCGzoOnH62eaSQ?e=3iYvaS

I downloaded the latest version today 11.08.

Yes. the tests were made with your original, not the VP or HB exports.  Things to try...

Install version 10.96.

Verify that the video driver and Direct-X are up to date...   https://www.nch.com.au/kb/10265.html

If still bad, close the program and use Windows Explorer (file manager) to delete all files in these folders...

"C:\Users\<PC Name\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software\Components"

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software\Components"

Reinstall Videopad 10.96.

Would certainly think so - you're paid up.  If there's a problem, the company would certainly rectify it.

But you need not uninstall prior to deleting the files, if necessary.  Just close the program, then reinstall.

Should you have time on your hands, here's a beta build, which may have undiscovered quirks + several maintenance fixes.

Actually what I'm going to do is go back to an old version.  Every couple weeks I back my entire system up with Acronis and I can go back to any version I want the last several years.  So I'll go back a few months and see if the problem goes away.  I know I have to update the version software to 11.08 but that's a normal thing.

There's no mandate to update, and it's often wise to wait for a few weeks, to see if quirks surface.

Older versions can be installed, and the license will likely be intact;  no need to restore an Acronis image.

Your file exports correctly to 1080 when re-encoded using 10.96, 11.08 and the beta release here.

Okay I tried my problem on my other computers and have the results updated on the cloud link above.  They are perfectly rocksolid both Windows 7 and Windows 10.  So apparently my personal computer workstation has caught some that causes a problem or I have installed something that causes a problem.  So it's not video pad it's some other application I have installed apparently that causes that slight jitter.  I will look into it.

That's a real advantage that I have been both being a software engineer and having lots of workstations with different Windows.

One comment I would like to know from you guys is why Windows 10 produces a MP4 twice the size of Windows 7 when all the configuration information is exactly the same (default file size, same FPS, etc. etc.).  That really seems like I should make my MP4's with Windows 7.  Is Windows 11 the same?  This would action be a great example above to test the size.  Since it creates exactly a 1 minute video of 4K.

You cannot use lossless you must use the re-encode from 4K down to HD(1920x1080).  When I run W7 in lossless mode it comes up with the same file sizes everything else 259K.  It's when you do the re-encode Windows 7 down to HD only comes up with 49K and Windows 10 comes up with 110K.  I'm curious to see what Windows 11 comes in as.