Using Export Stretch Mode to Change Aspect Ratio Problem

Russ Croucher

I have many HDV videos that are recorded at 1440x1080.  However, the aspect ratio is wrong.  It needs to be 1920x1080 to be correct.  So after the image stabilization I use the stretch mode of the export to force 1920x1080.  In the last several versions of videopad it causes a flicker on the display every couple of seconds.  I have a workaround that going back to version 10.06 works okay.  I have collected a folder with several different versions that I have tested with this problem.  I cannot remember the beta directory name but I can try it also.  I have created this link to see if anyone else's experience any type of problems with this anomaly.  Here is the link to my folder that has a 5 minute video with several different versions.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuSetTxgq7JxqMYTTk4DnG9fqasxcA?e=eZFa8d

That's why I specifically included the entire folder that includes a lossless 5 minute MP4 file created in the latest version of videopad in 1440x1080 and the project that shows the Flickr with the different versions recorded in 1 minute sections of each version.  Only 10.06 work without flickering.  I have not yet submitted this is a bug report because I wanted to see if anybody else had problems.

These files were originally imported with pinnacle 23 because I have not been able to get videopad to work with FireWire.  Then my example file has been lossless output cut down to 5 minutes with videopad.

You can use my examples above and you can see the Flickr in the files depending on the version.

Examined all files directly on the server, and  1096 and 1043 of the girls definitely had a problem that couldn't be replicated here when the original source file was exported at 1080 / stretched.  1006 and all other files were clean.

Exported both the projects at 1080 / stretch.  No glitches in the result, using v10.96.

Let me clarify what I did which will explain it in more detail.  I imported the entire video (one hour and 20 minutes) using pennacle 23 with FireWire.  I I then use the lossless version of 10.96 video pad to extract the 1st 5 minutes.  I then use different versions of video pad to extract 1 minute sections of those 1st 5 minutes and stretch them and see which ones work and which ones did not.  I found that version 10.06 works okay the rest do not.  So I'm assuming that there some type of anomaly with pennacle 23 and video pad that is causing some issues with the lossless mode.

I do realize if I were to probably take those 5 minutes from lossless mode and re-export them and re-encode them using video pad would probably work fine.  So I'm saying that something in the lossless mode is causing it issue in the later releases of the code.  As long as I have one version which is 10.06 that fixes the problem I will probably use that to do all the stretching for the next few releases.  There was several releases after that that I don't know if worked or not because it did not load my project file correctly.  But I do know that 10.43 does not work.

Do you think I should submit this is a bug report or you think this thread will be enough to give the developers an idea of what's going on.  I have tried it on both Windows 7 and Windows 10 with the same problem.  I don't have a Mac in-house.

You have the original file but it's not 5 minutes it was only 1 minute I'm sorry.  I not gonna post the one hour and 20 minute video because the problem is obviously clearly there in the 1 minute section of it.  I know if I posted a 1 minute video of the reencoding it would work I want to know what's going on with this lossless version with pinnacle 23.  The file is called "1minSource.mp4".

Yes I know that would work because you forced a reencoding of the file.  You cannot specify lossless if you want to stretch the file.  I ready know that works.  I'm talking about a lossless file that flickers with some versions This must be done after the image stabilization.  So it is done with the wrong aspect ratio 1440x1080 (smaller file size) image stabilize and then stretched.  What you're asking me to do is re-encode all the files 1st and then image stabilize it and that will take too long.  Remember I have hundred the files.

HDV native file is 1440x1080. And since I cannot get FireWire to work with video pad I use pinnacle 23. I then image stabilize the file and then stretch it to produce the  correct aspect ratio of 1920x1080.

Guess the point is being missed on why lossless is needed, aside from processing speed.  You can stretch the files on the timeline with

image.png  then export.  The original 1minSource.mp4 that you linked has no glitches here.

You won't get lossless, of course.  If you can clearly specify steps to replicate the issue, do file a report...  https://www.nch.com.au/software/bug.html

Thanks for the good tip.  I will do the image stabilization with that file and use the transform to change the aspect ratio.  I don't care how long it takes in the end cents all automated anyway.  I just don't want the extra step of their which it sounds like you got a fix for me.  I'll let you know how that goes.

There's no A/R option in batch mode.  But you can fiddle with this...

Place each file on a separate SEQUENCE.

Export sequence 1 in stretch mode.  This is an extra set-up step to overcome what may be a bug.  The exported result can be deleted.

Go to Menu | FILE | EXPORT ALL SEQUENCES.  Choose sequence mode and OK each prompt.

The quick result should be that all sequences (your individual files) have STRETCH applied.

A slower alternative...

Place each file on a separate sequence.

Apply the STRETCH effect to sequence 1.

Switch to sequence 2, right-click and APPLY LAST USED EFFECT.

Do the same for the remaining sequences.

Export ALL.  Leave the A/R choice at Letterbox, not Sequence mode.

I guess I need to learn how sequences work.  I created scripts before we had sequences years ago.  Where do I learn about these?

I created a procedure several years ago before you had sequences that would take one MP4 file to import into video pad "I .mp4" do whatever operations the project specified and write the file out to a new name (name of the VPJ) in a different directory.  It would then cycle through the next file and VPJ do all this automated.  That way I could setup a computer just to be doing that without an operator involved.  So that turned out to be my solution to the problem.  I manually do the 1st operation on how to do the export which would be to stretch the output and save the project file.  Then I can execute this automated batch file.  The only issue is they must be a numerical order.  This is the way I wrote the script file.  If they are out of order it just stops.

So in the end this project is actually empty it does nothing it's all in the exporting with it stretched.  I use this project concept a lot for changing the clip's speed or adding some user video effects.  Something that the batch files don't allow you to do.