Combination of Masking and Transparency not working in v10.75

LaRa

Hi all! I have been trying unsuccessfully to combine masking and transparency on my v10.75...it works just fine in v10.34 but does not in later versions. The OS is Win7. Anyone else facing this problem? 

Checked both v10.75 and 10.84 here and was unable to replicate your result.

Track one - the background image

Track two - the masked image, with an added transparency effect

Please share a file or two that has the issue.  Someone will check it out.  Upload the file/s to a free server, such as Google Drive or MS OneDrive, get a shared (public) link, copy the link and paste it here or to me in a Private Message via the mail envelope in the top-right corner of this forum.  When using Google Drive, if necessary change "restricted" to "anyone with link can view."

Thanks for checking. Can you share your result, please? Sending links to two screenshots: one with just masking, and the other with both masking and transparency (with opacity at 0). There is no difference seen in the preview screen (the result should have been a red bird on a blue background)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ybv8S_ydAuhfTWQiDvREPrlCrgBuRVmk/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mx9vmd5DZJQpY36kyToe1ofoYSQLwPYC/view?usp=sharing

Here's a little example of a masked doggie over a gradient blue background.  Mask INside in UNchecked...  Snapshot - 7.png

In the effects box, click on the Transparency bar (not the Polygon Mask bar) to display the result in preview.

Try the latest version.  For licensed users upgrades are free for up to six months from purchase date.  After that, VP will continue to fully function but a fee will be required in order to register the newest.  Retain your old install file and registration info.

yes precisely!   this is just one application for it.

I would like to show you that this combination works like magic in v10.36 (which incidentally does not have options for the shape of the mask - it only has polygon mask)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N2XSPXGDDZAbgDvGuh8sI5f6jePUeF2F/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oA4uSKSaS86ziZ77ll6Fq_il0NVP02tW/view?usp=sharing

Maybe the problem lies with the availability of options in mask shapes.  This feature combination has stopped working on my PC in v10.64 and higher

There's no difference here between 10.36, 10.75 and 10.84 for this function.  Masking works just as shown in the image above.

The checkerboard area seen in your PV image is not what a JPG would produce.  A transparent PNG would display that way, and could be overlaid on track 2.

In version 10.36 here, there are mask shape choices...  image.png  But that may be due to A/B testing.  Each install has subtle differences.

If you have not plotted an outline of the bird, then masking will be of little use.  Chromakeying is a better solution.

So it's unclear what's going on.  Be sure that your video driver and Direct-X are up to date...  https://www.nch.com.au/kb/10265.html

Thank you for your help so far. It would be ideal to have the latest version with functioning masking/transparency feature. Please keep looking for a solution to my problem. In the meantime I will be using v10.75 because it has the best set of creative overlays.  Incidentally, the options in creative overlay list varies each time I reinstall VP, even if it is the same version. For example, in v10.75 during one installation there were 7 options and another time only 6 options (petals was missing).  so your "Each install has subtle differences" makes sense in this respect. So I had to install it multiple times until petal overlay showed up.

Is there a way to find out what new features are included in the latest version of VP without actually installing it?

-0-0-

Hi Borate! I just installed v10.84 and was thrilled to find that the masking/transparency is working fine!!  Can't thank you enough for your help with this!! There is one thing missing in it though. The creative overlay does not have falling petals which happens to be my favorite effect.  Is there anyway I can add it? I tried reinstalling v10.84 hoping that it would somehow be among the options but no such luck.

Release notes won't shed light on A/B subtleties.  The way to get the 'petals' effect back is to reinstall repeatedly until it appears.  NO need to download again.

In this 10.84 (64-bit) release the first install had seven Creative Overlays.  The second had...

image.png